Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Cost of Living on LOST Island

There has been a lot of talk lately that people feel disappointed in this season of LOST, because the pace is different or the storyline has bifurcated, or whatever. I don't understand that school of thought, because I still think the show is fantastic. There is drama, tension, action, terror, supernatural mysteries, intrigue, passion, faith, humor and politics all wrapped up into the finest damn hour of television. And tonight was no exception.

SPOILERS AHEAD, CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

Eko's Last Stand:
Tonight we saw LOST's most towering figure face his redemption only to refuse it, but then suffer the consequences of his fate. We learned more about his past mistakes, the choices he made in order to survive. Was Eko a bad man? I think society would deem him so. But in his mind, I do think everything he did stemmed from his early role as both protector and provider to his little brother. Yemi was the good brother, and Eko did what he felt he had to do to keep him that way. A bad man, but with his own justifications.

And the island demanded his sacrifice. Tonight we saw the (triumphal?) return of Smoky the Monster, at least in the form we know it best. This time, Eko did not face down the monster and live. But what is that monster, exactly? Now I feel sure that the producers' hints that we've been seeing Smoky all along but didn't know it means that the monster has somehow been taking the shape of the visions our castaways keep seeing. How else to explain not-Yemi's devastating line "You speak to me as if I am your brother." ??? Which, by the way, now gets my vote as the best LOST line of the season. My jaw actually did drop. The monster has claimed Eko, thus giving him the redemption he ultimately sought, but what of the warlord-priest's dying words to Locke, "You're next" ????

The New Triangle:
Things with Jack, Juliet and Ben just keep getting more interesting! Ben gave up their plans for Jack, their intention to psychologically break him down to win him over, and asked him instead to save his life. Ben had some of the best dialogue of the episode, said in his eerie, squinty-eyed way: "Do you believe in God? Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky. If that's not proof of God, I don't know what is." Perhaps Ben is a man of faith after all.

But now, the wild card is Juliet. She has a secret plan to secure Jack's help in staging a coup, of sorts, by killing Ben and making it look like accidental complications from surgery. I couldn't help but feeling throughout the whole scene that Juliet may actually be the bad guy here. She's incredibly manipulative and seems to have earned Jack's trust - will she use him to settle her own score with Ben and take over the leadership of the Others herself? I do believe Sawyer had her pegged, from one con to another. I don't trust her at all. Will Jack?

Meanwhile....:
Back on the beach, Locke gladly asserts himself into Jack's role and points out his own, different style of leadership. Hurley's reactions are priceless. And while I still think Paolo and Nicki suck,, they did give them a little more substance by hinting that they've been bitter about not being part of the lead clique all along. (I've been saying for a while that's the only exposition that would make any sense in introducing those two. I'm just sorry it took 5 episodes to get there.) Sayid is still a lead presence, but the man seems to be faltering in his comm skills. Come on, how did they not think of turning on all the tv's from the start? And I have a feeling Eyepatch is just a tease that we won't see again until February.

Parting Thoughts:
1. I think I want to avoid spoilers this time around. I had read several over the past week so I was 99% sure it was going to be Eko who died. And that does take away from the enjoyment, and the suspense, of watching an episode.

2. Note to the cast of LOST: Don't get picked up for DUI. It's a guarantee you'll be written off the show.

3. I really liked Eko. I hope he still shows up via flashbacks or visions in future episodes.

4. Seeing the trailer for next week has me on pins and needles! SO MUCH could happen, and it looks like Pickett is going after my beloved Sawyer, and what will become of Ben and his surgery?, and is Locke in danger too? I can't take it! The waiting is going to drive me nuts! Can we just fast forward to next Wednesday???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said bifurcated.

No more spoilers. And if you think waiting one week is bad, how are we going to make it to February!?

Stef said...

I know, waiting 'til Feb will be hard. But I have to say I'm really enjoying the no reruns policy. 6 weeks straight through this fall is working well. It may be harder to block off *every* Wednesday night from February through May, but you can be damn sure I'm gonna try! :-)

ScottE. said...

I'm actually looking forward to not having to worry what's on TV for 2 and 1/2 months!

I'm sad I'd heard about Mr. Ecko, but overall though...great episode.

Selena Kang said...

I told Greg that Smokey the Monster is actually rather playful, and was just doin' hide n' go seek with Eko, because he zipped away when Locke came out and I'll bet he was covering his smoke cluster mouth and giggling. And I'm sure he was just playing but didn't realize his own strength when he threw Eko around. I think he is just misunderstood.

Stef said...

So Smokey's not Cerberus, the 3-headed guard dog? He's just a playful misunderstood puppy? And poor Eko just suffered the same fate as a field mouse at our house growing up, when the dogs would play with it so hard it wouldn't make it to play another day? Hmmm. Not quite buying it! ;-)