Tuesday, August 08, 2006

One of Those Random, Stream of Consciousness Posts

Tonight was our monthly book club discussion & dinner. I think it was unanimous - Nicole Krauss's The History of Love gets two big thumbs up. It's a very moving novel that weaves together the narrations of two unforgettable characters. It will make you laugh, and maybe shed a tear, and you'll want to give both characters a big hug by the end. Good book.

Now, Jodi Picoult's Picture Perfect, on the other hand, sucks. I've become a big fan of Ms. Picoult's more recent novels, but this one (one of her first) was clearly written before she hit her stride. Who wants to read the story of an abused wife who has amnesia as a defense mechanism and forgets who she is, then goes back to the abusive husband and slowly learns the nasty truth of their relationship, but then STILL stays with him to try to make the marriage work? It's filled with all this codependent crap where the main character keeps saying she's "the only one who can help him." Yeah, as he's hitting her in the face and kicking her in the side. And even after she leaves to try and save their baby, she still goes back to him?!? I wanted to throw this book against the wall. Blech.

Today is my parents' 36th wedding anniversary. If they hadn't stood in front of that altar on this very date back in 1970, I may not be here blogging for you today. So this is an important one - send happy thoughts to the Sterfanie parents! :-)

Happy news! Skewers is continuing their great happy hour specials through all of August. Pomegranate martinis and $2 appetizers, here I come!

So wanna hear the latest physical evidence that I'm older than I think I am? (Sorry for my friends who already had to hear my freaking about this all day...) I was doing my usual routine getting ready this morning, including tweezing my eyebrows, and guess what I found? A GRAY HAIR! IN MY EYEBROW! Ahhhhh!!!!!!! My mom thought that was just hilarious when I told her. But I didn't think it was all that funny.

Remember how I said that 2 sets of couples in my circle of friends have just gotten engaged? Well, if that wasn't enough happy to news to fill a summer... I also learned today that yet another couple I know is pregnant! So exciting! I hope this means I get to play with a baby soon. :-)

That's about all for now.... by tomorrow we should all know if my prediction about Joe Lieberman was correct, and we can rightfully call him "yesterday's news."

1 comment:

Washington Cube said...

Don't start plucking those grays out, or your brows will get very sketchy looking