Wednesday, August 23, 2006

And The Award for Most Improved Goes To....

Today I am living proof that it pays to follow your dentist's orders. A few months back (I'm too lazy to link today), I got a major scolding at the dentist's office and was told I was showing signs of gum disease. They told me I HAD to start flossing regularly and changing my overall dental care habits. They scared me enough into submission, so over the last few months I have been making changes -- I am now a flosser, almost every day, and I made the switch to a Sonicare electric toothbrush. Plus I am now strictly using Colgate and Listerine for their special anti-gingivitis ingredients. (It took me a while to figure out, but ONLY the blue kind of Listerine is tolerable. The green is disgusting.)

I had my follow-up appointment today, and I got gold stars! (Not really, just metaphorically.) She said she could really see a difference and that my gums look much happier and healthier than before. Hooray!

I told her that I had purchased the Sonicare toothbrush that she recommended, and that this led to a conversation with some friends out at dinner one night about how we all use electric toothbrushes and think they're great, etc. Well, she thought this was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, and she started WHOOPING with laughter (while cleaning my teeth). She said "Wow, all your friends talk about their Sonicare brushes? You're just sitting around at dinner talking about how excited you are about your toothbrush? I have created a monster!" Then she laughed even more and said "So, instead of Tupperware parties, do you have Sonicare parties? You all hand out new brushes?" At this point, she had tears in her eyes she was laughing so hard, and said "This is the funniest thing I ever heard, I have to tell my Mom!"

Yeah, okay, so the dental hygienist lady thinks my friends and I are all the biggest dorks ever. But, you know what? She is helping me save my teeth. So being a big dork in her eyes is a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it brightens her day.

5 comments:

Washington Cube said...

:::flossing::::

Asian Mistress said...

I didn't go to the dentist for like 2 years after college...then I had 12 cavaties. 12.

Apparently I suck for not flossing...

Blue Dog Art said...

Dude, I want to go to your dentist. I quit mine in July and I need a new one. Glad you are keeping up with the flossing and such. Good for you!

Melissa said...

Seriously. I can't NOT floss. It annoys me to think about food sitting between my teeth.

Anonymous said...

did i tell you about my dentist that gives new patients a parafin hand wax treatment while he cleans your teeth?
AS