Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Civic Pride

It's still a wee bit too early to know who won today's primary races, so for now I'll still remain hopeful that we're going to see the signs of a nation ready for change.

I couldn't help but feel sad walking into Marie Reed Learning Center this morning (my correct polling precinct, of course!) and remembering the last time I was inside. On that morning, November 2, 2004, there were lines going out the door and up the block as the DC hopeful showed up in force to voice their desire for change. Alas, it wasn't enough, and we've stayed on this course for the last 2 years and have probably veered farther than most people could have imagined just 6 years ago.

Today, while there weren't any lines and I was in and out in less than 10 minutes, I actually felt a little more inspired. For this time, my voice as a DC resident actually does make a difference, as today we had the opportunity to decide on a direction for our own city. Having a voice in our government is a pretty amazing thing. What the government decides to do after they're elected, well, that's where we have a bigger challenge...

But back to DC's big race. I don't know who's going to win. I had a very hard time figuring out who I wanted to vote for myself. But I went with my gut instinct, rather than with the polls, and I feel pretty darn good about that.

2 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Looks like Fenty, which wasn't at all surprising to me.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited about voting yesterday! I got a sticker and everything - it made me feel so great to be participating in democracy like that. My gal didn't win, but it doesn't dull the thrill of connecting those dots!
AS