Monday, February 20, 2006

Early Morning When I Wake Up, I Look Like KISS But Without the Makeup

I'm in need of a little distraction, so I turn to Blogger. Even though today's officially a day off, we had an event and I have an assload of work to do, so I came into the office anyway. And, of course, now that I'm here I'm trying to find anything other than work to occupy my time....

Today my hair is taking its revenge for me wimping out and cancelling my appointment yesterday. It looks terrible, and I couldn't get the level of conditioner right for the weather today, so it's just hanging there all limp. Ick. But, good news! I've made myself an appointment at a new-to-me place that comes very, very highly recommended. I'm getting my hair cut and highlighted tomorrow afternoon at Bang. It's right off of 16th Street, how could I not?!? And its price list is totally in the I-can-justify-it zone. I was thinking that I would impulsively just get my hair cut at a place near work today, but when I saw that the prices for a woman's haircut were listed as "$80 and up," and that a blow-dry was separate and $35 extra, I said puh-shaw. And men's haircut prices were a mere "$45 and up" - don't get me started on the different cost of living across the genders! I'll report on my Bang experience tomorrow. I can't wait!

I do have a quick beauty-related question, though. Has anyone had any luck with teeth whitening? I'm open to any of the different techniques... Crest White Strips? Special tooth polish? Getting it done at the dentist? Any recommendations? I'm hating the fact that my pearly whites aren't so much of either. :-(

6 comments:

Brunette said...

Re: whitening-
Don't bother with the stuff that you paint on. It got all gloppy and was difficult to apply, and doesn't really stay in place very well. Just generally more complicated and uncomfortable than necessary.

The White Strips are easier to use. I didn't go through the whole box since they made my teeth sensitive after a few days, but I did notice a slight improvement in just the couple of days that I did use them.

Dentist would probably be the best- certainly the quickest and easiest. If you have the cash for that, go for it!

Sharkbait said...

My roommate LOVES Bang. She swears by that palce, I just haven't gotten my rear end over there. Let me know how that goes.

As for whitening-I've been thinking the same thing. I heard the strips are better as well, but they make your teeth sensitive. That's rough on an ice cream eating gal like myself. I just can't justify the purchase yet, but I feel in the near future I will.

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer VSL to Bang. Mostly because when I get my haircut, I do it in need of a change. I found that Bang was too conservative with my hair, I wanted someone that looked at my face and saw something.

Washington Cube said...

Re: teeth whitening. The most effective method is to have them blasted with a laser. It's the fastest and most effective, but also the most expensive. You can also go to the dentist and have a mold made of your mouth. They give you these two curved plastic mold imprints and you fill the "trench" with this gel that bleaches the teeth. You can wear them a few hours each night, or sleep in them, and in a few weeks...white, white teeth. The advantage to this method over the strips is that it really covers each tooth and gets them white, but again, not cheap.

As for the on-the-market things, I would advise strips over the paint on stuff, but I don't think either work very well.

P.S. I went in to work a part day today, but also squeezed in a hair appointment, thank God.

Anonymous said...

I got my haircut at Bang for the first time last week, and I made my appointment with a dude who came highly recommended by some coworkers (both of whom have great hair). When I sat down, is attitude was "OK, this is what we need to do to you," without spending much time asking me about my hair routine, or peculiarties, or anything. At the time, I thought it was awesome - I was very much in the mood to place myself in someone else's hands and see what they came up with. But a few days have gone by, and I am finding that the haircut doesn't work very well on my head - it requires way more morning mirror time that I would've liked. I have known for a long time that I need to work on my stylist-assertiveness, and last week was a stern reminder.

Dancer in DC said...

A post I can speak on with full authority! :)

I went to Bang, as a bevy of my coworkers swear by it. I was underwhelmed. My stylist was pretty standoffish, and the cut was nothing special. And of course it cost a fortune. I now swear by my stylist at Greatlengths - right around the corner from my office! He's so good I can go 2 months in between cuts, which was unheard of in my past. So the cuts cost more than a chop shop, but I go less often, so it evens out.

Brunette is right - the glop is not worth it. Unless you enjoy walking around the house with a huge grin for 20 minutes while it dries.

The strips work pretty well - I bought a box and only made it halfway through, but noticed a slight difference. The real issue is discipline. My coworker puts his morning strip on before he leaves for work, which is a great idea. Alas, I am cheap and bought the Target version, which is bulky and blue and painfully obvious. If you can afford the Crest (which is clear) - do that. Same coworker buys his at Costco for cheap.

But he has done the dentist thing, and it's far better. But of course costs more...