Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Taquito Moment


Did y'all see the fantastic article in the Washington Post yesterday called "Picky, Picky" ??? It's all about how we modern singletons are staying single because we've become very choosy and let little things about people become the "oh, SO not the one" deciding factors.

The Post uses one single guy's story to illustrate what they call "The Taquito Moment." In the midst of a date, which may or may not be going well, one of the people will do something that irks the other just enough for them to call it quits, before either of them ever gives it a chance to see if there might be a real relationship there. The gal pals and I have been sharing our own stories over email today, and some of our Taquito Moments are just hilarious. My best? In no particular order:

  • The guy who was very sweet on our first date, which included dinner and a movie, but he wouldn't freakin' take off his earmuffs! I mean, who wears earmuffs anyway? And wouldn't you take them off when you start talking with someone, even if you're still waiting for the table in the restaurant? Who waits until they're seated to take off earmuffs???
  • The guy who suggested we meet at the Au Bon Pain at the mall....and then proceeded to fill up his cup at the soda fountain, pay and walk right to the table. Now, this discussion has occurred many times over the blogs, but I tend to think that even though it's not a requirement that the man pay, there should at least be the offer. And, for God's sake, I just got a Nantucket Nectar! He didn't even wait at the register, so I had to pay for my own juice.
  • The guy who wanted me to guess what kind of pet he'd always wanted. But he wouldn't give me verbal clues, oh no. He just used his finger to push up his nose and started oinking! In the restaurant! Yep, he wanted a pot-bellied pig. And I got the visual.

What are your favorite Taquito Moments?

Of course, there should probably be some reflective comment here questioning whether we are selling ourselves short in these scenarios, whether we need to get over these little things and open ourselves up to learning more about a person before making snap judgments. Probably so...but for now, many a martini-laden girls' night are made by the sharing of these high-larious stories!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I had some idiot start a fight with the whole patio of Raku because they weren't Democrats. Nice.

Brunette said...

He told me he didn't like to read. Not even magazines. It wasn't a snap judgment- it was self-preservation!

Washington Cube said...

I've been trying to think of one, and I'm coming up blank, thank God.

Mandy said...

Oh, let's see - there was the guy who, over coffee, told me that his ex-girlfriend had him arrested and thrown in jail, so he felt betrayed not only by her, but by our legal system. Oh and he didn't know me really well, but he *really, really* liked me. (*cringe*)

There was the guy who, over the course of two months, NEVER ONCE PAID FOR ANYTHING. I had major feminist guilt about it, and I'm willing to go Dutch, but seriously - every time the check came, he would ignore it until *I* picked it up first and put in my share. EVERY TIME. It's not like he didn't have the money, which wouldn't be a big deal - but his company paid his freaking rent for him!! The final straw was when I was running late for a movie, and he didn't even buy my ticket for me. I would do that for *anyone* I was meeting. But no.

I have more, but I'm starting to get depressed... ;)

WCTs said...

Ok, here is mine....
While he was eating, the rice simply moved off his plate and scattered all over the table. The plate was removed and he layed his arms in the rice, the whole time he was talking. Once he noticed that rice was building up on his cuffs and simply brushed the rice back on the table....where is just reattached back on his arms...gross!

Then the guy that had never read a book in his adult life...yikes!

Or the guy, that was so uptight, that he would take my plate the minute I took the last bite. No more meals at his house!

DC Food Blog said...

1. The guy who called a woman a c*** while we were walking down the street because "she looked at him weird."

2. The guy who was so obsessed with action figures that he would moan strangely when passing a Toys R Us.

ScottE. said...

what's the opposite of the taquito moment....? when you know you're with the one....?

Stef said...

I love Scotte's question - what is the opposite of the Taquito Moment?

A coworker and I came up with 2 suggestions, that both relate to romantic food sharing:

1. The Milkshake Moment - picture 2 straws.

2. The Spaghetti Moment - as in Lady and the Tramp.

What do you think?!?

ScottE. said...

The Spaghetti Moment....! Loveit...so sweet....smooch.


and meatballs.



but it's hard to answer that question, as we're an anomoly (sp)? It just sorta happened and lasted....over 6 years now!! But it must have been the first date when everything clicked and the second date when he met my posse and they didn't hang him...and then the third date with the first kiss.

Dancer in DC said...

I love taquitos. Mmmm....

Worst taquito moment - the guy telling me halfway through a fabulous dinner that he would have to be going shortly...to get to another date. Yes, he scheduled 2 dates within back-to-back. And this was before the age of speed dating!