Thursday, September 14, 2006

Metrobus Math

How is it possible that on one of the busiest streets in the city, which has three regular morning bus routes, TWENTY MINUTES can go by without a single bus in sight?!?!? And meanwhile, hundreds - yes, hundreds - of people are gathering every few blocks and getting more and more bitter waiting at their bus stops in the rain. And then, after those grumbly twenty minutes, SIX BUSES all arrive on top of each other?!?

It's not like yesterday, when there was a real reason for delays even though I didn't actually perceive any. What is it? Just the drizzle? Washington can't handle a little water?

Shouldn't there be some management science or operations model to keep the buses running on time and spread out? I mean, I never took those classes in grad school, but I certainly know they were offered!

3 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

I've always felt that the worst is on K Street. They buses there are pretty notorious for playing leapfrog and getting bunched up.

Anonymous said...

Did you ASK the bus driver why the 16th Street Buses were late on Thursday and were all bunched up? Since this does not happen everyday, maybe, just maybe, there was another good reason. Well, I caught the bus farther up, and it happens that there was a huge accident that caused standstill traffic and caused all the buses to bunch up. So Sterfanie, before you criticize the bus system, appreciate the fact that most days 16th Buses are pretty incredible in terms of frequency and timeliness.

Stef said...

Michelle: I didn't ask, simply because it IS a pretty common occurrence. Those buses end up stacked, arriving all at the same time, at least several days a week. And as someone who can only take one of the three routes, it's especially frustrating when three S1s or three S4s all come at the same time, but it takes 20 minutes for an S2....and I *have* written to WMATA asking for them to evaluate those routes, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.