Saturday, September 09, 2006

My Six Degrees Secret Weapon

Remember the Kevin Bacon game? You know, that fun mental test of trying to connect any actor to Kevin Bacon in 6 degrees or less? It's based on the theory of centrality, aka the idea of "six degrees of separation."

Well, this theory is just one of the many little tidbits in the backstory of LOST, and watching the DVDs the other night got me thinking about how I'd like to figure out just how many degrees away I am from some of my favorite celebrity crushes. (Yes, these are the kinds of things I think about alone in my apartment at night....)


My two targets: Sawyer, aka Josh Holloway from LOST; and Ron Livingston, aka Peter Gibbon or Jack Berger or that guy on Swingers or whatever you first loved him in.

I had my initial "six degrees" strategy all figured out, starting with the fact that one of my good friends is actually good friends with a certain famous reality tv show host. That's 2 degrees right away, but I was starting down the road of how to get to Sawyer and Ron and I figured that Sex and the City was going to be the key. Ron himself had been on SATC and Evan Handler, aka Harry, had done a great guest spot on LOST and so I saw that as being the best road for me to go down.

But then, in an otherwise boring night of watching bad Friday reruns.... A moment of inspiration! I had totally forgotten that I had a secret weapon of my own!


I've met David Conrad! Recognize him? He's an actor who's been in tv and movies for about the last decade or so, and he's actually a Pittsburgh native. He'd been in a few shows at the theater where I began my career and I met him several times at opening night parties. As a total aside, I think I can safely say he is the best-looking person that I've ever actually seen in person. Gorgeous, truly.

Anyway, he's my lynch pin! My own direct link to my favorite celeb hotties! Check it:

From me to Sawyer in 4 Degrees

Me

I've met David Conrad, who stars in The Ghost Whisperer with

Jennifer Love Hewitt, who starred in Party of Five with

Matthew Fox, who's stranded on that darn island with

Josh Holloway, my beloved Sawyer!!!

Fun! But perhaps even more impressive, my secret weapon gets me even closer to target #2:

From me to Ron Livingston in just 3 degrees!

Me

I've met David Conrad, who starred in Relativity with

Lisa Edelstein, who stars in House, which featured a fabulous guest role for

Ron Livingston, as a crusading doctor trying to eradicate TB in Africa.

That's 3 degrees, baby! Actually, a quick look at IMDB showed me that David Conrad has also guest-starred in House, but I'm going to stick with this line-up cuz I know for sure that Lisa E. and Ron were in the same episode. That was a darn good one, and I believe Ron was nominated for an Emmy for it.

Sigh. Little mental flights of fancy. They just make me happy. :-)

Who do you connect with????

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the homage (lynch), but it's actually linch pin....

Stef said...

Hey AnneLynch! You'll appreciate that I was curious about this one so I just looked it up, and according the Merriam-Webster web site either variation - with an i or a y - works. But both are only one word, so now I know better! :-)

Anonymous said...

I knew MPDP would come in handy one day!

Stef said...

Joyous: Oh, I bet I'll still use that link to get to someone! I bet she keys you in to lots of people via this little Kevin Bacon game. :-)

Anonymous said...

you guys know MPDP?! Color me jealous.
AS

Stef said...

AS: Color me magenta and taupe! Alas, I don't know MPDP myself, but *somebody* does.... :-)