Sunday, September 17, 2006

Our Date With Jon Stewart


Last night, four ladies made their way out to rustic Merriweather Post Pavilion, met up with another lady and her posse of guy friends, and sprawled out on the lawn for an evening of comedy. And really expensive beer and concessions, but that's neither here nor there.

The opening act was great. I believe his name was Mike Berbaglia (sp?). Thanks to him, we shall all now refer to the President as Whiffleball Tony. Remember, nobody wants Whiffleball Tony in charge of anything!

Then Jon came out, and boy did he deliver. He was everything we wanted him to be - timely, topical, snarky, self-deprecating, a little geeky (who knew he's addicted to computer games?), warm, and most of all, funny. He riffed on politics, race, religion, science, evolution, technology, and dog vomit. Some parts - like the idea of a "Judas egg" in every carton at the store - were more laugh-out-loud funny than others, and some parts - like most of the politics and foreign policy stuff - was less laugh-inducing and a little more, well, depressing, cuz it rang so true.

Jon totally endeared himself to the whole crowd, making fun of the concession-stand sushi (???) and gracefully tossing aside a fan's loud suggestion of "Jon Stewart for President!" I didn't think it was really possible, but I daresay that after spending a night together under the stars, I even love him more. :-)

6 comments:

Asian Mistress said...

I am SO jealous! I went to Improv last night and it was a good time as well...but I was mad when I heard after I bought tickets that Jon was coming I was really upset.

Oh well, next time! :)

Kathryn Is So Over said...

It was incredible, wasn't it? I went with a good group and we all laughed 'til we cried. He's amazing.

ScottE. said...

FUN! We saw him about 6 years ago and he did the dog vomit bit...! Love Love Love!

Anonymous said...

He is terrific, I'm so proud to call him a college alum.

Anonymous said...

Mike Birbiglia http://www.birbigs.net/
turns out, he went to Georgetown at the same time that I did and my friends I saw on Sunday know him personally!
Awesome night.
AS

Stef said...

AM: I really want to check out the Improv sometime, and see some more local comedy shows. This just reminded me of how much fun it can be!

Kathryn: Yep, that about sums it up. There were times we were all leaning against each other to stay sitting up, we were laughing so hard!

Scotte: It made me glad I currently live with a cat! ;-)

Sweet: Oh, fun! Having him as a fellow alum would *almost* make me motivated enough to go to reunions!

AS: That's so cool! I checked out the site earlier and had Mike B. jokes playing at work, making the day much better!