Aaaargh, the finances are not looking so great. This is to be expected, as summer is always the season when I spend the most money. I'm a lot more social in summer, meeting folks for happy hour and dinner and going to wineries and ballgames and the like. This does happen every year. But it still hurts to see those low balances in my Quicken accounts!
It's a good thing that the fall tv season is starting this week, cuz that then gives me a reason to be happy about just staying in at night... and that means spending less money! And when the weather starts to turn, then I'm not as interested in going out for lunch... and that means spending less money!
I had an interesting conversation with a friend a few days ago (over lunch where I spent way too much, natch!) about how we socialize. She and I were in total agreement that we both prefer to catch up with friends *in person* and we're not big phone talkers or emailers. It's a lot more fun to see your friends face-to-face and that's really the best way to stay involved in each other's lives. While that is all still true, I think I need to push (myself) for more phone and email time with my friends, cuz all this socializing is getting darn expensive! So who's in for keeping the cell phones charged??? :-)
While I'm not quite to the Little Women stage of selling my hair, I'm also trying to figure out how to simplify my material life and thus rein in the finances. I think I'm sitting on a potential gold mine of hundreds of used books, in very good condition. Anyone know of Metro-accessible places that will trade cash for books?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I feel your pain. I spent half of yesterday putting textbooks up on ebay.
Law-rah: Good luck, textbooks are expensive! I hope you make some good $$$. I used to sell books through Amazon, but I wasn't very good about getting to the post office in the 2-day time period they promise, so I ended up spending more to send things overnight and people got mad. Alas, selling via the mail is not for me.
there was a place in dupont, but it closed recently. I'm looking for another one, too.
When I was a volunteer and we all made $100/month, we somehow found cheap/free things to do... why does it seem like that's so hard to do now? game night? video night?
AS
Post a Comment