Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The February Break

Growing up in Upstate New York, land of snow and cold, I grew very accustomed to enjoying a February Break. All of our schools closed down for a week in mid-February. Legend has it that so many parents were taking kids out of school for ski vacations then that districts decided to just institutionalize it, and they added a week to the school year in June. I didn't ski, but it really was great to have that week off. You get over the fun and sugar-rush of the holidays, and then just as you're starting to get bored and weary with being back to school, hooray! you have another break. We used to go sleep in, go sledding, have hot chocolate, and just forget about stress. As I got older, we would take family vacations in February, which nicely coincided with my birthday. (It's coming up!) When I was 16 or so, though, my mom decided that February Break was the best time for me to get all 4 wisdom teeth out. That year wasn't so much fun.

I'm definitely feeling a need for February Break right about now. Perhaps it's just my current mood... but I've been feeling kinda stagnant and frustrated for the last several days. I'm an Aquarius, and we tend to be victims of our own wanderlust....I'm feeling the need for change, the need for something new. I think I tend to get this way every year around birthday-time, which probably relates more to the post-holiday doldrums than being another year older. But I'm feeling worn down by my current situation - mostly related to frustrations in my relationships with several men in my life. I'd love to meet someone new, even if it's just for the fun of getting to know a new person and getting swept up in a crush. I'm a big fan of crushes, and it's been a long time since I've had a good one. But even beyond the men thing (cuz, yes, there is life beyond the whole relationship thing), I'm feeling the need for a new pursuit, a new hobby or project or something.

How do you beat the doldrums? If I had the money, I'd totally take my own February Break and go somewhere warm and exciting. (Dido's song "Sand In My Shoes" nails it on the head, the reason why so many of us would love an escapist vacation.) Perhaps I'll pop some Jimmy Buffett in the stereo tonight and make a fruity drink.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying for something to shake my life up a bit! I feel like I'm stuck in a rut but now I can at least attribute it to being an Aquarian, not the short attention span I thought it was :)

Marie

Stef said...

Oh, I blame it on the stars whenever I can! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The February blahs are especially frustrating, since the holidays were not *that* long ago, so I don't understand why I feel like I must have another vacation RIGHT NOW. Plus I'm all broke from the holiday splurge-fest. Once I get my tax refund, I'm going somewhere that is far away and cool. Best I can do to beat the blahs in the meantime is to just daydream about it.

Washington Cube said...

1) truckload of sand: check

2) blender: check

3) fruity alcohol combo's: check

4) tiny (and cute)
paper umbrellas: check

5) oiled cabana boys: check
and double check

Brunette said...

One nice thing about living here is that you can hop on a plane and be in the Bahamas in two hours. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Stef said...

Hmmmmm... think there's any correlation to the fact that I'm seriously considering switching to a 0% APR balance transfer USAirways Visa, which automatically comes with 25,000 free miles - the equivalent of a free ticket right off the bat???

I think I hear some steel drums n the distance....

Mandy said...

You can always come visit me in Yemen! It's warm and I'm sure you could easily get all the male attention you could ever want. Actually - probably more than you'd ever want.

Still - think on it. I've got three more weeks left on this trip. Plenty of time...

SAS said...

This is the first year I actually kind of miss a good upstate NY snow. Being seven and up to your thighs in it. Life couldn't get any better...