
Oh, but before we got there, I got some birthday lovin' from a few select coworkers....a guy friend of mine totally surprised me with the gift of a BIG bottle of alcohol (happy!) and a gal pal gave me the greatest handmade card ever. She took a picture she had from a John Edwards event she'd been to, where he's speaking into a microphone, and added the captions to make it look like he was singing happy birthday to me, his girlfriend Stefanie. :-)
I had a really good turnout for the birthday HH, and I was glad so many people wanted to come spend some time with me. It's always a bit of a challenge, though, to blend the various different groups of friends. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I've learned (therapy helped), that it's not always my job to be the appeaser, and my friends are all big boys and girls, and if they meet and don't actually like each other, it's not my job to make them become BFF's. I am glad they all make the effort to get along for my sake, cuz I certainly love them all for for the very different ways in who they are.
The evening ran from about 5:30 until 11ish, with a fun rotating cast of characters and lots of laughs. We all stuck with beer - a big change from my infamous chocolate martini birthday last year - and those greasy appetizers made several appearances. My verdict: cheesesticks, GOOD. unexpected/unordered cheese fries, GOOD. buffalo wings, disappointingly dry and with very little meat. Come on, a place called Buffalo Billiards needs to up the ante on those wings!
As the evening wound down, there was a growing chorus of "Krispy Kreme?" "Who wants donuts?" "Krispy Kreme?" So the final core group - me, T, Joyous, and the lovely couple from this blog - made our way across the street. But we were denied with a closed Krispy Kreme.... quick thinking, however, led us next door to Cosi for some S'mores and coffee cocktails. Mmmmm. Roasted marshmallows. A great wrap-up to the night.
I made it back to 16th Street at about 2 am, and 2 more fun developments to the evening.... I got a package of presents from the little bro, and he totally SCORED with being dead-on on getting me stuff that I wanted. The one CD and the one DVD that I've been coveting the most are now MINE! I gave him a quick call and had a good sister-brother catch-up convo. Then I logged on and, to my happy surprise, got to spend the last hour or so of the night IM'ing with this cool chick, who's STILL working in Yemen. She needs to come home soon! But it was a great way to wind down from the evening and cover every good girl-talk topic that needed to be discussed. I like this new routine we have - I go out and get home ridiculously late, but with the time difference she's sitting at her desk in Yemen looking for a fun diversion from back in the States. Good times!



7 comments:
We *do* have a good system, don't we?
Enjoy the Olympics...*sniff, sob*....
I'm so bummed I have to make do with CNN highlights...
happy birthday stef! hope you have a fun birthday weekend!
Sounds like a fun time. You're going to have a snowy white birthday.
Mandy: I'm watching the pairs figure skating right now! This new scoring system is going to take some getting used to. Damn that French judge.
Shoofly: Thanks! I'm glad you guys could stop by last night!
Cube: Yep, the snow is coming down. But I'm convinced that it will all be cleaned up by morning for my birthday brunch fun. This shall not be Snowmageddon!
Happy Birthday Stef (typed on Sunday.)
Happy Birthday Stef (typed on Sunday.)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Very glad you had a good time dear!
We need to catch up-I had another dream about you. It's starting to weird me out!!! hahahaha
<3
Post a Comment