My little brother works with school students back in Bloomington, IN. He emailed me a question the other day that one of his students had asked him, so I've been doing a little research to share the answer with him and all of you.
The question is: How did Washington, DC end up with its name? What makes it "the District of Columbia" ???
Wikipedia is a wealth of information, as always. Washington, of course, is named for George Washington, the triumphant Revolutionary War general and our first President. The "District of Columbia" is the designation for the federal city, founded on July 16, 1790, a home for the federal government as specified in the U.S. Constitution. According to DC.gov, this federal district was first called the Territory of Columbia and the federal city the City of Washington. The name changed to the District of Columbia in 1793.
Isn't she prettier than Uncle Sam?
The plan was for a city that would be 10 miles square, which is still the name for a political column in the Washington Monthly. The land for the federal city originally came from the states of Maryland and Virginia, with the plan that D.C. would have that nice, clean square/diamond shape. But, as anyone who's looked at a map like the ones on every Metro car knows, the Southwest border of DC is irregular and doesn't form that nice even shape. That's because in 1847 the land south of the Potomac River was "retroceded" to Virginia.
The Wikipedia entry says something interesting, that I want to keep trying to learn more about. It sort of hints that the City of Washington and the federal District of Columbia may be 2 separate entitites, but that "for most practical purposes they are considered to be the same." The Federal District has limited local rule, but is ruled "in all cases whatsoever" by the U.S. Congress. Hmmmm... that's a sore point, but we certainly know that Congress controls our purse strings. If you keep reading on some of these Wikipedia links, you'll learn some interesting stuff about the history of governance here in the District. I had no idea we once had a Governor!
And, also courtesy of Wikipedia, some interesting stats:
There's a lot more I could add to this -- if I find some more info later I may update. But this has been for me to learn a little more, so I may be posting again about the history of the city I love. Heck, I haven't even mentioned L'Enfant! More to come... ;-)



2 comments:
at some point the federal city, the old city, washington, and georgetown all merged to become washington, dc.
i dunno when, but the part about the being a separation isnt applicable anymore.
Very interesting...I knew there was a link, of some sort to Columbus, but I didn't know what it was...cool!!
Columbia...instead of Uncle Sam...I prefer that. But who knows what would happen if the US had a female image instead of a male image....oh no, our power is melting!
Post a Comment