I've been feeling a bit under the weather with sinus trouble this weekend, so I have spent the past 2 days at home either in bed or in front of the television. Which means I've seen enough cable television to last me weeks.... Here's what I've found:
1. The Puppy Bowl rocks my world. I fell in love with this clever idea last year when I was flipping channels during the super Bowl. This year, Animal Planet has actually been getting some press over the past week for their airing of Puppy Bowl 2. I love that someone thought of this and enough people liked the idea to make it happen on a cable network. Something about those ADD puppies just has me glued to the screen! And the kitty half-time show? Priceless. Since it seems like they film this just up the road in Silver Spring, maybe I could get the job of puppy referee next year???
2. Saturday night, the Discovery Channel premiered the documentary film Grizzly Man. I have wanted to see this for a while, but it had been stuck in "very long wait" status on Netflix. So I was very glad to catch it on cable. This is a fascinating movie about Timothy Treadwell, a former actor who spent 13 summers living among the grizzlies in Alaska. His was a one-man crusade to protect the magnificent animals, but it took a tragic turn when he was eventually killed and eaten by one of those very bears he was trying to protect. Director Werner Herzog used Treadwell's own footage as well as interviews with his friends to put together this film, which is as much about Treadwell's love for the bears as it is about the single-minded obsession that led to his death. It's a story about both passion and hubris. I really enjoyed it.
3. I caught 2 episodes of Lisa Loeb's #1 Single. This latest celeb-reality show on E! is actually pretty enjoyable. I find Lisa herself to be pretty appealing - if a little too pink - and her friends made me laugh. I caught the story of her air-date with the guy who wrote the Festivus book, who then turned out to be smarmy and leakd gossip to Page Six. She can do a lot better. And the weird blind date at Pamela Des Barres' house with the guy who didn't eat vegetables and karaoked her own song to her? Excruciating. I could see myself getting hooked on this show.
4. Speaking of hooked, I've been watching MTV reality since I was just a mere highschooler, back when Real World New York - the first one - premiered. I don't watch the individual seasons of RW or RR as faithfully as I used to, but those Challenge shows are my guilty pleasure addiction. I have been catching up on the new season of the Gauntlet. This season is okay, but it's hard not to miss such series regulars as Coral, the Miz, Theo, Veronica, Rachel, and Tonya. With Beth as the only bad guy, it gets kinda boring. I was so mad when she beat Ruthie, the queen of all the Challenges. But it was great to have her kick out Montana, whom I've always hated.
5. So, it doesn't count as cable, but I also started re-watching my complete DVD set of Freaks and Geeks. What a brilliant show. It gets better and better every time I watch it. And I totally heart Jason Segel, who plays Nick on F&G and Marshall on "How I Met Your Mother."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
I loved the Puppy Bowl! It looked like the refs' primary responsibility was to clean up poop, though. If you could frolic with the puppies, that'd be another story... Maybe they take applications online!
Interesting to hear that you liked the Lisa Loeb show. Now you know that I don't say I "hate" many things- it's such a strong word. But, to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, I hate, loathe, and despise that wretched song "Stay." I hate it so much that I'd been totally content to just forget about her for the past 10 years or so. Is it possible to watch this show, and still avoid hearing that song? I'd thought she was dating a Zappa- are they done? And the not eating vegetables thing isn't so unusual- probably half the men I've dated have had extreme vegetable aversions. Weird.
Brunette, I know you don't like to use the word "hate" very often, but it does seem to come up in pop culture discussions...
I seem to recall a time when you *hated* Ms. Julia Roberts back when she was honing in on your man, Matthew Perry. That would've been after the special Super Bowl episode of Friends, when Julia, Jean Claude van Damme, and Brooke Shields all guest starred. Was that really all in one episode? The episode that resulted in subjecting us all to Suddenly Susan?
loeb and zappa were an item for some time, even had a foodie show on the food network, i could give or take her...but he was a cutie...!
Puppy Bowl? Oh shit really? I wanna see it!!!!!! Can 'fans' attend? I'll go next year with you!
As far as The Gauntlet goes, it isn't as exciting as the previous shows. Beth, in my opinion, is seriously a prime candidate for a mental institute.
CGC: The Puppy Bowl rocks! I don't think fans can attend - too distracting for the puppies. But you can still catch all of the action:
http://shopping.discovery.com/product-60021.html
We can now *own* the Puppy Bowl? I wonder if they'll ever let in live spectators, since it's just around 495 in Silver Spring.
Barry the poodle was an aggressive little guy, wasn't he?
I already can't wait till Puppy Bowl III!
i loved the puppy bowl! so cute! woof
I stand corrected. Maybe. A little bit. I watched "Number One Single" tonight and it was actually entertaining! I love Ileana Douglas, the feng shui best friend. But why did she let him pay for all her Container Store stuff? I think she misunderstood the "let him pay" rule.
Post a Comment