Sunday, June 04, 2006

Back from Bloomington!

It was a short vacay, and now I'm back home on 16th Street. How was my trip? Well, I'll steal a page from The Barmaid to give you the highlights and lowlights:

HL: Vacation, all I ever wanted!
LL: Having a total damper put on the whole thing by having a key staff member - and one of my favorite coworkers - blindside me with her resignation the morning before I left. Thus 3 days of phone calls and emails while on vacay. I was so glad when 5 pm Friday came!

HL: The wait in line to check in at the Indy airport - 5 minutes - was longer than the one to check in at National - no waiting!
LL: The 80 - 90 minute drive from Indy to the parents' homestead. Each way.

HL: Seeing Mom and Dad happy in their new house, which they like so much more than the old place with its homeowner's association from hell.
LL: Noticing that they are already getting negative and gossipy about their neighbors in the new development - which never happened when we lived out in the country and there was no one around.

HL: Seeing 2 big summer blockbusters, The Break-Up and X-Men: The Last Stand, at Midwestern matinee prices -- and I didn't have to pay for either!
LL: Unnecessary complications when Little Bro misjudged the running time of the movie and Mom had to come get me at his apartment so he wouldn't be late for work!

HL: Getting a fantastic massage from mom's therapist, also named Tammy, who did such a great job that my shoulders were still sore the next day.
LL: Sleeping on the very uncomfortable guest bed that makes my back snap, crackle and pop.

HL: Dad made great steaks and shrimp kabobs on the grill, plus salt potatoes - an Upstate NY favorite.
LL: I have to step on the scale tomorrow. Maybe.

HL: Meeting my Little Bro's best friend / former roomie after hearing about him for 8 years, and finding out he's totally cute.
LL: Finding myself physically incapable of staying up past 11, thus unable to go hang out with Little Bro and his friends after he got out of his night job. Big Sis turns into a pumpkin, so that meant no fun with Midwestern twenty-something guys. :-(

HL: A relaxing, escapist few days spent far away from my usual trials and tribulations.
LL: The sadness of always having to say goodbye to my family for months at a time.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Sounds like you had a great time (and I'm so jealous that you already got to see my first two "summer movies" that I want to see, too!) and some well-deserved rest.

I think I hear a night out at a trendy Capitol Hill wine bar calling my name...

Onyah said...

You lost another person on your staff? Yikes! So sorry to hear that. So now your most senior member has been there... three months? Ulgh. Do let me know when you need to do some post-work drinking!

Stef said...

Yay! I love that you both talk about drinking... :-)

And Onyah has a picture now!!!