Saturday, June 17, 2006

Best. Game. Ever.

I just watched the Washington Nationals beat the New York Yankees. Yep, you read that right. Our Nats beat the Yanks today! It's a strange feeling being outnumbered as a fan in your own stadium, hearing the majority of the crowd rooting for the visitors and wearing that other team's gear. But it's an AMAZING feeling walking out of that long, hard-fought game when your team has won. :-)

As the game was just beginning and our group of 4 (2 Nats fans, 2 Yankees fans) started talking, I said "I know we're going to lose this, but I'd rather not see a trouncing. I hope it's at least a close game so we can feel good about it."

After the 4th inning, it was tied up at 2 and I was feeling really happy about that, so I decided to take a bathroom and hot dog break. While waiting in line, I heard a whole lot of cheering and I knew something was going down, something bad for the Nationals. I came back in to see the score was now 5-2, and the Yankees had scored back-to-back home runs. As I settled back in my seat, I watched Johnny Damon hit a grand slam to take it to 9-2. Jeter, Giambi, A-Rod, Posada, Damon, the titans were out in full force. At just the top of the 5th inning, this was not looking good.

But I tried to keep my own spirits up, to be there as moral support for the team. I was a little annoyed when the Yankees decided to start testing out rookie pitchers on us... kinda like at recess, when the girl gets up in kickball and all boys in the outfield move in. Ultimately, I think this is what ended up turning the tide.

In the bottom of the fifth, the Nats rallied and scored 4 runs. Then they scored two more in the 7th. For a while there, there was this great pattern of having a runner on third and then a base hit that would drive that runner home, several times, and Daryle Ward - put in the game midway through for Nick Johnson who hurt his back - hit himself a home run. It was fun to watch, and we Nats fans were excited to see that our boys weren't giving up in the face of the Bronx Bombers. We actually were just one run down!

At this point, I leaned over to Mr. L, my fellow Nats fan, and said "You know, I certainly don't want to jinx it, but I do think it would be pretty damn cool to see the Nats actually BEAT the Yankees." He kinda laughed and said "Shhhhh!!!!"

When the Yankees got up at the top of the 8th, my Yankee fan friend pointed over to far left field and said "Well, your Nats better watch out, cuz they're warming up Mariano Rivera. He's the best closer in baseball." It took me a second to get up to speed to the lingo, but I watched as Rivera took the mound and the Yankees fans in the stands went wild with a standing ovation. My Yankee friend said "Game over."

Rivera walked Alfonso Soriano, who's probably our best hitter. And then Alfonso, my new hero, stole second! And then he stole third! And with a bad throw by the Yankees, he made it home! TIE GAME! And I was on my feet, giggling with glee!

I turned back to my Yankee friend and he said "Game's not over yet." And I said, "I know, even though you just said it was! How funny!"

Still in the bottom of the eighth, Daryle Ward was walked, and then Jose Guillen hit a triple and Ward rounded the bases home! WE'RE IN THE LEAD! I practically jumped out of my seat to stand and cheer! And then Ryan Zimmerman hit a single, and Jose comes home! WE'RE UP BY TWO!!!!! At this point, my voice is straining from screaming and my hands are red from clapping and I've got a huge grin on my face!

The inning ends, top of the ninth, and the tension is high. We get two fairly easy outs, and then Johnny Damon's back at the plate. Everyone is standing and screaming, trying to see just what the current Mr. Baseball is going to do. After 3 balls, 2 strikes, and 2 outs........suddenly, the game was over.

THE NATIONALS WIN! I am giggling with glee!!!!

Yes, victory was made sweeter by the fact that today's game set a new Nationals record for attendance - 45,085 - and had a major television broadcast. I can't wait to see the highlights on tv tonight! I hope that at least some of those thousands of Yankee fans who came out to root on their team will consider supporting our Nats, cuz they worked really hard for this win.

I don't think anyone expected it in Mudville this day, but I think I actually experienced sports fan joy for the very first time watching this game. I want to thank the gods of baseball, and the Washington Nationals, for giving me such a great day at the ballpark.

4 comments:

Stef said...

Ooops, I realized too late that I used "giggling with glee!" twice in this post. But, heck, it's accurate! In fact, later in the evening I noticed that my jaw really hurt and I had a headache. I was so tense during the game and I was smiling so big that I actually hurt myself! But all that pleasure was worth just a little bit of jaw pain. :-)

Anonymous said...

Johnny Damon is a traitor. Go Nats!
AS

Stef said...

AS: I agree. To me, Johnny Damon represents all that ugly corporate-baseball stuff. I kept using the analogy that it's like how I lost all respect for Bill Hemmer when he left CNN and went to Fox News. How can you be a part of one organization that *stands for something* and that has a history, and mythology, and tremendous fan loyalty.... and then go work for the complete opposite, nay, the enemy?!? Have you no soul?!?!?!?

Brunette said...

Johnny Damon is no Cal Ripken.