Monday, June 05, 2006

A Little Birdie Told Me

I got my first "insider" tidbit on the 2008 election tonight. I know a guy who's a very wealthy, very well-connected, very active Democrat. He was one of Kerry's top fundraisers here in DC. He was on the Kerry bandwagon long before the primaries.... and how did he land on Kerry as his choice? He and his wife had all of the frontrunners over to their house one at a time, with their wives, for a series of dinner parties, to get to know them, be wooed, and make their choice on who they would support. Yeah, he travels in those circles.

He has made his pick for the Democratic candidate, which is a decision that actually means something. Who's his pick?

Mark Warner. Former Governor of VA and self-made telecom millionaire. For my book, he's now the one to watch.

I don't know enough about him. It's time to start my research. Thoughts from all my VA readers???

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

NYT Magazine did a profile on him a few months ago, definitely worth the read.

Asian Mistress said...

Yeah people have been kicking Warner's name around for awhile now...will be interesting to see.

Other speculation has put Warner vs. Allen - VA goes National...but I doubt THAT will happen.

DC Food Blog said...

Warner does have the scent of "winner" on him. He won the governorship in a traditionally Republican state. In that same state he RAISED TAXES to pay for such trivial things like transportation and education and just to balance the budget. And he got his Lt. Gov. elected. He's pretty centrist but I think his pragmatism and ability to says hard things in a practical way gives him a huge edge.

Blue Dog Art said...

I like Warner A LOT!

Anonymous said...

I'm a native Virginian and can say that he did what he promised to do running for governor in '01: he cleaned up the budget and fiscal mess. He turned huge deficits into surpluses, brought in new jobs, built up the rural infrastructure and worked hard with a GOP legislature to reform taxes. He left office (prohibited by state law to run again) with a 75-80% approval rating in a red state.

Anonymous said...

Learn more about him and join us!

www.draftmarkwarner.com

Stef said...

Thanks for all the great comments, folks. I have just joined the DC for Warner yahoo group, so we'll see what I learn. I still have love for my favorite candidate, John Edwards, but my ultimate goal is that we win back the Presidency so I will end up supporting whomever the candidate ends up being. You know I'll be posting more here!

Anonymous said...

are you going to blog about the DC-congressional representation bill? Did you see the interesting posting on NOT supporting it on the Adams Morgan yahoogroup?
AS

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! Your "must be Republican friend" voted for and LOVES Mark Warner. A pragmatist who can actually DO SOMETHING that makes sense.

Stef said...

Hooray, AnneLynch comments! Well, if a die-hard VA Republican can support Warner, maybe he really could have a chance.... :-)