Thursday, June 01, 2006

Some People Should Not Have Dogs

I come from a dog family. Both my parents grew up with dogs, and in my time we have had 6 Scotties - Patty, Bonnie, Mickey, Maggie, Rory and Abigail - who were all very valuable, very loved, and still very canine members of the family. We love dogs for being dogs.

So it was no big deal when my Mom told me a while ago that while I was visiting (I'm in Indiana now) they would be dog-sitting for a neighbor. I thought it would be fun to hang out with a dog and give us all a little entertainment.

Well, now that I'm here and have learned the whole story, I'm appalled yet again at the way some people treat their pets, and clearly just use them to fill some void of affection they have in their own lives. Aaaargh!

My parents' neighbor is approximately 60 years old and has very low mobility, including challenges with her hearing and her sight. She has had a schnauzer for years, named Starbucks, who my parents got to know when they moved in at Christmas. About 2 months ago, before my parents left on their own long trip, neighbor lady asked if they could watch Starbucks while she goes away for 2 weeks in late May/early June. Mom and Dad said yes, even though they didn't know this lady well, cuz it was a nice dog and they understand wanting to make sure a pet is well taken care of.

When they got back from their trip, just last week, they learned that poor Starbucks had passed away of old age. BUT.... the lady went ahead and got a new puppy! Right before she was about to go on a trip for 2 weeks! How can you do that to a puppy? How can you ask that of your neighbors?

This puppy is 9 months old and he was bred to be a Schnauzer show dog, but the poor guy has an undescended testicle (wouldn't you want that written on a blog?) and can't compete. But up until this point he has only lived in a kennel and been trained rigorously for show. So that means he is not a very doggy dog - he doesn't really know how to run, jump, play, bark, or even pick and be held like most normal dogs do. He seems to have no sense of his own body, and he clearly doesn't know who he is or where he lives yet. His brand new mother got him and just left him in a brand new house, stuck in a crate all day all by himself.

And, the indignity.... this well-bred animal who shows signs of being a good, frolicking boy dog, is named.... Babe. Why? Because all the woman wants to do is cuddle with him like a baby. Seriously, she wraps him in a blanket and cuddles with him in a rocking chair every night. When she's home, that is.

Even stranger.... the instructions she left for my parents all about his feeding, walking, etc. included the note that she always makes her dog pray before he eats. So my parents are supposed to set his food out, but then hold him down with a hand on his head, say grace and then say "Amen." The "Amen" is supposed to signal to him that it's time to eat. Rather than the FULL BOWL OF FOOD in front of him.

This poor puppy. (I'll post a picture of him when I'm back.) I was playing with him yesterday and he seems very eager but just doesn't know how to respond. You know, this big braided knot I'm waving in front of you? You're supposed to grab it and tug! Good boy! Or.... not.

It's very clear that in the last week when my parents have been feeding, walking, and playing with him, little Babe has become very attached to them. This imprinting is going to be very hard when his mother comes home. At this point, my parents have spent more time and attention on him than she has. I hope the little guy doesn't become even more confused. My mom is going away again next week so it'll be a clean break. But I know he will try to get to my parents through the yard, while he's fenced in next door. Oh, poor puppy. Bad neighbor lady!

1 comment:

kris said...

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. My dogs have always prayed. ;)

!?!?!?!?