Monday, June 26, 2006

Spoilers from Book 7!!!!!

J. K. Rowling is talking again - and that means Harry Potter fans like me are on the edge of our seats! So.... two main characters die in the final installment? And she won't commit to saying if Harry lives or dies?!? Oh no, I can't wait! She better finish that book soon!

More spoilers if you haven't read Book 6 yet...plus my pure speculation on the finale:

I thought Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was the best book of the series so far, after the very first one and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Book 5 was bloated and not as fun and interesting, but Book 6 rocked. I *loved* learning about the history of Voldemort and I thought the last 100 pages or so were the most thrilling and action-packed fiction I've ever read. I shall miss dear Dumbledore, but Rowling left a fascinating set up for the final book. Harry, Ron and Hermione leave Hogwarts to go battle the Ultimate Evil, and we're left still unsure as to whether Snape is good or bad.

But I think he's the most fascinating character of the whole series - and I want to kiss whichever casting agent it was who first called Alan Rickman for the role. There can be no other actor to play such a complex yet ambiguous character. To fit the long-range story arc, though, I have a feeling it will be Snape himself who does not survive. I think there will be some grandiose showdown between the professor and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in which we shall see once and for all Snape's goodness and nobility. I hope.

So who would be the other main character to die? Oh, it can't be one of the main 3 kids, that will just break the hearts of all readers everywhere. So I'm going to guess that it's another beloved character whose death will be very sad, but more pure in its emotion (dare I say the Libby to Snape's Ana Lucia?). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will be Hagrid.

Which leaves Harry to survive and.... go on to become an auror like he's always dreamed? I've thought since the beginning that he will end up becoming the school's permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, but that's just me. And I hope he ends up with Ginny, and Ron and Hermione finally get over themselves and finally see each other. :-)

Oh, we have to wait until July for the movie! And then how long until the final book? Too long!

So what are your predictions, fellow Potter-philes?

7 comments:

ScottE. said...

Die Die Die!

I'm not sure who it will be. I don't think it would be Hagrid...I would put $5 down on Ron. I could see Snape going...in a final opportunity for redemption. I don't remember the specifics, but there was an allusion, or maybe a blatant discussion of the possibility that Neville was really the intended target of Volde...maybe if that's the case, I could see Harry getting whacked.

I'm really excited to see what happens with the publication of this book...it's going to be bigger than the Bible!

DC Food Blog said...

I don't know about the rest of you, but when Book 6 came out, I flipped through the entire thing to find a Ron/Hermione lovemaking scene.

Stef said...

Scotte: I do remember something about Neville, you're right. I'll have to reread book 6 before the new one comes out. And it better not be literally bigger than the Bible! I only have a few inches of shelf space remaining for Book 7 in order to keep my whole HP collection together -- so I hope it's not TOO big! :-)

DCFB: Oh, I think that'll come in Book 7. But how cute were little Rupert and Emma in the last movie, with all their flirting and sniping? :-)

DC Food Blog said...

Yes but the producers of HP and the GoF made a collosally bad decision - casting someone who was smoking hot as Viktor Krum and letting the guy who plays Ron grow out his hair. I spent the whole movie going, "Hermione, tap that ass!"

Mandy said...

Trying to get the image of Hermione "tapping some ass" out of my head...

I could see it being Snape and Hagrid, I can see Hagrid sacrificing himself to fight for Harry - same with Snape, too. I do hope that the seventh book allows for Snape's redemption, because he is a very complex character (and I agree 100% about Alan Rickman.)

I think that Neville might end up being the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor - after all, he excelled in the DA in book 5 and his insecurity is what primarily holds him back, as he's matured, it's not really his abilities that are lacking, it's confidence.

But really, I just CAN'T WAIT for the last book to come out. Amazon pre-orders, HERE I COME!

ScottE. said...

Hermione Tapping ass!!! HOT!!!

Stef said...

Mandy: Oooooh, I think you're right! Neville could be a great DA teacher. And then Harry could fulfill his dream of being an Auror. As long as he lives... gulp.

And all you boys who want to see Hermione tapping ass.... admit it, you just have the hots for Viktor Krum!!! (Who doesn't?)