Friday, October 06, 2006

Ice Cream & iTunes

Tonight, after a great dinner at Zaytinya, Brunette and I had a great time just hanging out at the local ice cream place. Gifford's, of course! In addition to sampling TWO of their new seasonal flavors - peanut butter cookies & cream and pumpkin pie, yum! - and reveling in our shared hatred of the movie "Cold Mountain," we did the time warp back to the 1980's courtesy of Gifford's XM Radio choice.

In the time that it took to eat our delicious dessert, we got to chair-dance and sing along to such oldies-but-goodies as:

- "Should've Known Better" by Richard Marx - the man with the 2nd biggest hair of the 80's, just behind Adam Curry.
- "Open Your Heart" by Madonna - they could so not make an underage peepshow video these days.
- Amy Grant's "Baby Baby" - remember her terrible shorts-with-suspenders fashion?
- a Peter Cetera solo "hit" that I can't remember at the moment.. but it was NOT the duet with the aforementioned Amy Grant
- "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates - "I'm Oates!"
and the best...
- "Can't We Try" by Dan Hill & Vonda Shepard. Yep, who knew it was the Ally McBeal chick on that song???

Would you believe that we remembered almost ALL the words? Ah, those memory cells could be put to such better use. The Gifford's scoop-ista was singing along with us, too, as she explained that they listen to this XM station all the time. And I had so much fun that now I'm downloading these blasts from the past from iTunes!

PS - "I Marry You! I Marry You! I Marry You!" I'd rather see "Sack Lunch."

7 comments:

DC Food Blog said...

Hey there-

This was a great post. We still have not made it to Zaytinya!

The Peter Cetera song was "Glory of Love" I bet.

Just like a knight in shining armor
From a long time ago . . .


If I am not mistaken, this has the double nostalfic whammy of being from one of the Karate Kid movies. Wax on, wax off.

-J

DC Food Blog said...

That would be nostalgic.

Brunette said...

I still can't believe that "Can't We Try" wasn't a James Ingram song...

So we weren't able to see the movie about the genocidal dictator, but we managed to have fun anyway. Thanks for a great night!

Dancer in DC said...

Zaytinya is DIVINE.

Oh Amy Grant - what the hell happened to you?

True confession - the first concert I ever went to was an Amy Grant concert.

Stef said...

DCFB: It very well could have been "Glory of Love." I used to love that song and had the full sheet music, so it was my go-to song for the piano. I would play it over and over every night. The fam must've gotten so tired of it!

Brunette: No, thank you! I had fun!

Dancer: My first concert? Elton John with my Mom at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. And I was like 15. Yeah, nerd alert!

Asian Mistress said...

Um, I am now going to make sure I have those songs downloaded. Hahaha.

Asian Mistress said...

PS - I totally had every Amy Grant CD