Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'd Tap That


Tonight was Gordon Biersch's tapping party for the new season of Winterbock. Good times! Onyah and I headed up there and met up with T and a bunch of friends from work. It was a great time! A few highlights:

** They were hosting a raffle to benefit the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund. T won a prize, a $25 gift certificate and a big mug filled with chocolate. Then I won a prize, woohoo! I won a NLEMF polo shirt. But T and I did a little negotiating and he got the shirt and I got the $25 g.c. Of course, just my luck - even though I won something, I had to push through a huge crowd to get to the front and in doing so quickly stepped into a big slick spot on the floor and wammo! - in front of everybody - landed on my ass. But no worries, I still won. :-) But wait for it, there's more raffle news at the end of the post....

** I didn't care for the Winterbock myself, but I know it has a higher alcohol content so it's a pretty good bang for the buck. I went for my usual Marzen and a deelish pepperoni pizza. Onyah had an ahi tuna salad that looked tasty.

** There were kids there. It's so strange. I know GB is a family place, but it's damn odd to be rowdy and drinking yourself silly and to see 10 year olds in the place. But the trippy thing was these kids were wheeling around - somehow their shoes had wheels built into them. Rolling 10 year olds are damn freaky after a few beers.


** Santa Claus was there! And he was handing out free, piping-hot cookies! Mmmm, love me some chocolate chip. And Santa's elves were handing out free bites of sausage. The gray kind wasn't my favorite, but I loved the smoky pink sausage. So phallic, to eat these sausage bites off a stick.

** When Onyah and I left via metro, we decided it was boring to just wait at Gallery Place for 9 minutes, so we took a yellow line train one stop just to shake things up a bit. I'm so glad we did! Cuz we randomly ran into this cool guy, DVH, who works at the place where I used to work. We had a really good catchup conversation, and it was just one of those good chance encounters that makes you smile.

** And, the big news, once I got home and settled in, I got a new text message. Turns out that after I left, T ended up winning the grand prize of the evening. A night at the Hotel Monaco and 200 bucks towards a big old beer bash. Woohoo! Here's hopin' we in the gang get to go to a big beer party sometime soon. All in all, a great night!

7 comments:

Brunette said...

Sounds like fun. Sorry I missed the cookies!

Stef said...

Hey, no worries. We missed you but I totally understand. Good luck on your trip - I'm glad you'll get to see Aunt J.

And the title of this post was totally in your honor, by the way. ;-)

Brunette said...

Bwah!

Anonymous said...

OK, T sucks. He kept saying that every year he goes to this thing, he wins hundreds of dollars in prizes - how is that fair? I seem to recall that when both of us left, we gave our tickets to him - are you sure he didn't win with one of our numbers?

ScottE. said...

What fun. I hate children with wheels in there feet..they get in the way. I like to push them.

Sharkbait said...

Sounds like a good time. I so heart winning prizes, even if they really aren't that exciting. It gives you the excuse to yell 'I AM A WINNER' very loudly...or it's just me, who knows!

Anonymous said...

sorry I missed you, too. I was at work until 8. I missed the blogger happy hour, too! I am not a winner, I am a LOSER.
AS