This has been one of the longest visits I've had to Indiana since the fam moved here, and I'm surprised that it's going pretty fast. No major doldrums yet. (Have you ever experienced real doldrums in a boat? I have on lakes, but never on the ocean. Wow, what a frustrating feeling.) The main part of today involved more car trips between the old and new houses, and I did help a little bit this time around. :-)
Then in late afternoon, little bro picked me up and we went to Bloomington's own Oliver Winery for a tasting. As most of you know (and some of you have joined with me), I really enjoy checking out wineries and spending relaxing afternoons tasting and talking about wine. This was my first non-Virginia winery this year, and it was fun trying a few different varietals and learning about grapes that grow well here in Indiana. I tried a chambourcin which was pretty tasty - it was a rose blend that was great chilled. But, no surprise, I really liked the semi-dry whites the best. There were three in a row in the tasting that were exactly my kinds of wine - a gawertzaminer (no idea if I'm spelling that German varietal right), a riesling, and a traminette. (I'll load up some pictures of the winery once I get them downloaded in a day or so.)
We also tried a shiraz that was pretty good. The Newlyweds (CL and not-Spanish) almost got themselves a bottle as a housewarming present; alas, Indiana wineries can only ship in-state so I couldn't even get that bottle to myself in DC let alone MD. And since my only carry-on is the laptop, well, sorry guys - no Indiana shiraz for you. It also means that I have to trust little bro to keep the traminette I bought for myself until the next time I come to visit. I did say that if he drank it, he'll owe me a new one. I'm not holding my breath....
Then we met up with the parents and went to a Japanese steakhouse for dinner. I've never actually been to an ichiban-style place where they cook it all in front of you. Little bro and the parents all got hibache dishes and it was fun to watch them be made. I'm a little sick of all the big meals we've been eating, so I went for the lighter choice and got a sushi combo. I've never had sushi quite like it, though. The sashimi came out just as big hunks of raw fish - no little rice balls. Tasty, but different. And the 2 handrolls I ordered came out as these very artful pieces, with big chunks of ingredients and rice all rolled into a single bugle-shape. They weren't sliced, so I just ate them with my hands like you would a sandwich wrap. Again, tasty, but different.
Now we're back home and it's all of 7:30. Quiet time at the Stef Family House. Little bro loaned me 2 DVDs he had rented so I have something to watch tonight. Of course, it was with the caveat that they're both terrible -- the new Dukes of Hazzard / Jessica Simpson Pinup Movie and Flight of the Phoenix. He said they're pretty stupid, but I'll let you know.
Only 364 days until next Christmas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I wanted to see Dukes of Hazzard, only for my boyfriend Johnny Knoxville...I think he's a cutie. Enjoy!
sse
I did watch the Dukes last night. It's better than I expected, but still mostly about 2 hours of car chases. Go with your strength, right? Johnny Knoxville is funny, and his Luke is definitely the smarter cuz. Bo was an idiot. I liked that they set this in the modern day, and sent those anachronistic Duke boys up to Atlanta. There was some nice ribbing about that Confederate flag on the General Lee.
Jessica Simpson does okay. She's not a great actress, but she didn't need to be. I watched her video that's included as an extra. It's directed by Brett Ratner, but it's a total jiggle-fest. She's got different makeup and darker hair, and actually looks a lot like Britney. I didn't like it -- I think Jess should stick to her own style, rather than trying to become the new slutty dancer type.
Post a Comment