Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Way to Help Save Someone's Life

We bloggers write about all kinds of topics, and I know this blog in particular jumps from one random item to another. Every once in a while, an opportunity comes along where we can use our reach as blog writers and blog readers to easily help someone who is in need. I'm offering one of these opportunities up to my readers, and I hope you don't mind taking a second to read this. This is real - it's not some email hoax or spam I'm posting on the blog.

I work with a woman who has Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic and fatal disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. Over the last six months, her health has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. She'll soon be listed for a bilateral lung transplant -- one that she needs to receive within the next six months so she can live.

There is a fundraising effort happening now to cover this woman's exorbitant medical expenses not covered by insurance -- approximately $200,000 in transplant-related expenses including the anti-rejection medications required to get the surgery.

The woman's friends and family are working with a group called COTA (The Children's Organ Transplant Association), a national non-profit organization founded to help children and adults needing transplants, to enable people to make tax-deductible donations via the Web. Also with COTA, 100% of funds raised go directly to the transplant-related expenses.

I have given what I can, and I'm hoping that another way I can help is by getting the word out to other people. This is a way that you and others could really help a young, smart, sassy, independent, ambitious woman turn her life around and start the road to recovery. If you have $5, or $10, or $20 to spare, I hope you will please consider making a donation.

Tax-deductible donations can be made:
Online:
by clicking here.
In person: at any Wachovia Bank branch location. See this site for details on how.
Via check or money order: made in honor of and payable to “COTA for Pam M.” and mailed to the Children’s Organ Transplant Association, 2501 COTA Drive, Bloomington, IN 47403.

Thank you!!!!

2 comments:

ScottE. said...

THANK YOU!!! We both made our contributions last week! We Love Pam. AND her birthday is coming up!!!

Sharkbait said...

You are great for posting this. I get paid next week and I will definately donate.

I have felt firsthand the power of the blogging community with the passing of my aunt. I raised over 500$ from people I never met on the internet who read what I was spewing.

Best of luck.