Friday, October 13, 2006

Cold Snap!

So, the temperatures's gone way down and it's supposed to be cold here in DC today. Like, high in the 50's. Oh no! We might have to wear a jacket! You mean it's actually going to be cool in the fall...???

While a lot of DC natives will be shivering today, I'm just giggling on the inside. Why? Cuz this is the time of year when I'm SO GLAD that I left my hometown for the much warmer Mid-Atlantic.

Did y'all see how Buffalo got SMACKED! last night with a massive dump of lake effect snow? Ah, how those 3 words used to loom over my childhood.... we were always so used to snow that the threat of just a little flurry never got us excited about possible school closings. With only 5 allowed snow days a year, it had to be a freakin' blizzard to cancel classes for the day. So that meant that big snowstorms just meant tense rides into school, school buses fishtailing on country roads, snow boots and scarves and gloves and frost bite, giant snow drifts and white-outs blocking your vision and blinding you with glare, wet clothes and carpets everywhere, and never really being able to warm up.

With that storm last night, Western New York has ALREADY set a new record as the snowiest October ever. And yeah, I remember getting snow on Mother's Day. More than once. That's 8 months of winter.

So, I'll gladly walk around in the "cold weather" here in DC today and be happy that I've left all that so-called winter wonderland behind.

8 comments:

Sharkbait said...

AMEN!!

We are winter warriors. I am so not jealous of buffalo and so glad I am no longer and upstater!

But I do go to syracuse tomorrow for literally 24 hours and do have to pack the winter coat. Sometimes you just can't win!

Don't Be Silent DC said...

Joining in on the "I'm from Buffalo and am glad I'm not there anymore" club.

Stef said...

Sharkie: Have a safe trip back up to the Arctic north! This is the nephew's christening, right? :-)

GS: Thanks for stopping by! I am from outside of Syracuse (Finger Lakes, baby!), and so I didn't always get as much snow as the Buffalo suburbs, but it was enough to last me a lifetime.

Brunette said...

Jeez, it's like in the 50s today! I need to get out my parka and flannel-lined jeans.

(Seriously. I do.)

ScottE. said...

I'm am happier than a pig in shit! I love this type of weather...perfect fall weather...apple pickin', leaves a turnin'...it all makes me so happy. And I do miss the snow. Those northern Wisconsin blizzards really have no equal. And that dreaded "Lake Effect Snow," that's some good shit!

Just wish I could keep today's weather bottled up for those 100 degree, 99% humidity days we get during the summer.

Anonymous said...

Remember when we shared my first nose running, but freezing before it runs out experience walking towards the Commons????

Stef said...

Brunette: I remember watching your lips turn blue the first cool fall day in Pittsburgh. You are definitely a warm-blooded animal!

Scotte: Me too! I was so happy today walking around - and this weather is a great opportunity to bring out fun accessories, like my black peacoat and red pashmina. I love it!

AnneLynch: Yep, I sure do remember. We were on the hill walking from North Court to class in the morning - remember when we walked together every day that one semester? - and were right in front of the D-Hall. I don't think I've ever heard you laugh so hard or be so surprised! :-)

Dancer in DC said...

Let's put it this way - on Thursday I left DC where it was close to 70. I arrived in Michigan, where it was in the 30s, with a wind chill in the 20s.

I don't know what happened to Fall, but I protest!