Monday, September 26, 2005

Lake Champlain Islands


I would absolutely go back to Vermont to visit. It's the perfect place for a romantic getaway. If I had someone, in fact, I'd go back 2 weeks from now when they have the Apple Festival. Mmm, cider and pies and hay rides and down comforters and jeans and thick sweaters. It sounds so appealing right now.

In addition to these gorgeous islands, Lake Champlain is home to Champ, America's answer to Nessie. I first learned about Champ back in 2nd or 3rd grade, when my class was pen pals with a class in a small New York town near Lake Champlain. I think our teachers were friends or something. We wrote to them all about the teasel industry, which was a unique part of the history of our little town, and they wrote to us all about Champ the sea monster. They sent us t-shirts and buttons and everything. Well, we didn't see Champ this weekend, but we talked to a guy at the hotel who knows a guy who knows a guy who just saw Champ this summer. He took photos and everything, and the hotel guy had seen them and said they made it look like a giant sea snake. Could be possible....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Maple Festival in St. Albans sounds pretty sweet too! MCB

ScottE. said...

Sounds similiar to the Apple Festival in Bayfield, WI...I miss it soo much. Shores of Lake Superior in late autumn...perfect weather....sweaters, apples, carmel apples, apple pie, apple tarts, apple dumplings, candied apples...and turkey drumsticks. Gawd!!!