Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Freakout

Important lessons that I learned today:

1. The holiday season is a time of heightened emotion, particularly the day that you come back home from a good long week with your family.

2. One should keep this heightened emotional state in mind and not allow oneself to have a freakout over an unexpected but still incredibly powerful voice from the past.

3. If one should have a freakout, it's good to have a support network of logical, rational friends. (Thanks, T, for talking me down and MH for your supportive emails.)

4. While one's natural instinct may be to resolve said freakout with a self-flagellating, often humiliating and subjugating outporing of one's soul via email or phone, that's usually not the best thing to do. Stop. Take a breath. Think about how you want to sound to the other person when you say whatever you say next.

5. At the same time, it's best not to OVERthink relationship issues. Go with what feels right for what you need.

6. When in the midst of a freakout, pay no attention to the music at the grocery store. You may think you've shed your last tear months before.... but, come on, how is one supposed to battle against "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in the frozen foods aisle?!?!?

7. If music tends to be your best musical outlet, then your prescription is simple: spend the remainder of the day importing power ballads and favorite tunes onto your new iPod.

Without a noise, without my pride, I reach out from the inside.
You've got too much deceit, deceit kills the light. Light needs to shine, I said shine light, shine light.
Bohbity-say, bohbity-ah.

5 comments:

ScottE. said...

heightened emotional states! Nice....I think I had a over due emotional freak out last week...while driving...I almost had to pull over I was sobbing so hard...juxapositioned against the blaring of Green Day on the stereo...what a mess!

Emily said...

The last few times I've come back to DC after spending time with my family I have felt homesick and discombobulated, this week included. I feel sad, insecure, unsafe, and achey all over.

Melissa said...

You spent more days at home this week than I have in 2 years. Kudos to you!

Stef said...

Scotte: I firmly believe we all need a mess sometimes. It's good to let it out.

DJ: I hope you feel better soon. Get that cute boy of yours to give you a hug!

Chase: I totally agree! I start wiht power ballads and usually move into some sort of life-affirming empowerment stuff. I do love singing at the top of my lungs at home in my apartment.

Velvet: It was the longest I'd spent out of work in a long time, and I totally felt it today when I needed to focus again!!!

Anonymous said...

Fumbling Towards Extacy is my relationship freakout soundtrack. wonder if it would work with family stress too.
AS