Thursday, December 08, 2005

Let It Snow?

So what's the deal with the weather forecast? I missed it somehow this morning, but people here at work are acting like there's a major blizzard coming. Seriously, they're moving meetings and cancelling activities for tomorrow. Everyone assumes the Gov will be shut down, and the world will descend into mass chaos. Are they crazy? I just checked and the WTOP folks are only predicted 2-4 inches for the Metro area. That's what we got the other night. My boss said "We're gonna get 9 inches of snow!" Well, maybe way out in the mountains they will. But is this just typical DC snow panic? I'm gonna still set my alarm and plan to be here as normal tomorrow....

10 comments:

ScottE. said...

DC weather sucks stale ass....we're not going to get anything worth a piss....DC just can't deal.

Sharkbait said...

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!
What a joke..

and we won't even end up with more than 3 inches I am sure.

PuhLeeze!

Lady Brandenburg said...

(looks into crystal ball) I predict - maybe 2 inches of slushy crap in the city. Not enough to stay home from work.

Hey, I was proud of Alexandria City schools and DC Public Schools for staying open the other day... they were predicting 6 inches then too and the schools systems didn't flinch. Good for them! For once! (And good for me... when DCPS closes or has a delay, it screws up our teaching artist visits to the schools!)

And yes, we all know the city shuts down when it snows. I'm past being annoyed by that. Now I just revel in watching the media make a BIG F-ING deal about any amount of frozen precipitation. And I also revel in the fact that sometimes when the city shuts down - on rare occasions - I get to go into the office late. Woohoo!

Emily said...

According to the Wash Post they are calling for 5-7 inches which is enough to cancel work - yay! However, I don't want my Friday night social plans messed with!

Stef said...

DJ: I was just thinking the same thing! I'd love to have work cancelled, but a bunch of us are going out for dinner then to see the Nutcracker, then out for more frolicking. I'd hate to have the ballet killed by the snow!

Anonymous said...

No we're missing those crackn' nuts. I'll be there even if the gov does shut down tomorrow. Heck, that'd mean I'd be there well-rested!
AS

Stef said...

I just talked to my Mom in Bloomington, IN. Apparently they're getting dumped on. The snow started right as scheduled at 1 pm and hasn't let up. Lots of ice, slick roads, the whole deal. My bro just texted me saying "The snow gods are angry." So maybe we will be getting something major?

Either way, my boss said "I'm taking work home with me tonight" which I think is a sure sign that even if we are open, we won't be seeing her tomorrow...

ScottE. said...

Took me 1 hour, 15 minutes to get here today because metro sucks ass....they have been going slower and slower lately...and my station is an outside station, so that means 10-20 minutes in the cold. Mother-Effers! And the slush...it was slippery and I didn't want to fall, so I had to walk a little slower...I hate work!

Anonymous said...

Washingtonians may be total wusses about snow, and I'll make fun of them at great length, but that doesn't mean that I won't thoroughly enjoy my two-hour delay! Slow, leisurely coffee-drinking paper-reading goodness.

Stef said...

I didn't even know about the 2 hour delay! So I'm in the office wondering where the heck my whole staff is, then I checked my messages and 1-2-3 they all had called in. Not much work will get done here today.