Monday, December 12, 2005

Sick Day Observations

So I did end up giving myself another day of rest today and called in sick. It was so worth it to sleep until 10:30! Now I'm indulging in a day of bad cable while wearing my pj's. A few observations:

1. We've all discussed the very female-centric nature of daytime tv programming. I tend to gravitate towards TLC. I think A Wedding Story is my favorite, closely followed by A Baby Story. I'm not as into the Makeover Story or the Dating Story, which seem so much more forced.

2. Hamburger Helper is awesome!

3. Have you seen that they're rerunning one of those really old Orville Redenbacher commercials? He's wearing his big glasses and a bowtie, and he pours his "popping corn" kernels into an old-school popper? Well, seeing that made me realize something. I think when I was really little (late 70's) I used to think that Orville Redenbacher and Jimmy Carter were the same person. Cuz as soon as I saw that commercial and heard him talking, my first thought was "oh, it's the President!" I think that little me in Minnesota had never heard any other older guys with a thick southern accent. And I'm sure my parents referred to Carter as "the peanut farmer" which probably confused me with the popcorn. It's strange what early childhood memories can be triggered!

3 comments:

kris said...

Where do you live exactly? And do you have any leftover Hamburger Helper?

I am trying to resist the TLC draw. I bawl my eyes out at EVERY SINGLE BABY STORY. Can't resist. Thank God they don't have a show about cats being born. I think my head might explode.

Brunette said...

Hamburger Helper always makes me think of the scene in "Vacation" where Randy Quaid is making lunch for his big-city kin, and says "I wonder why they call it Hamburger *Helper*. It does just fine by itself!"

Beverly D'Angelo, under her breath: "You get plenty of meat at home. Be polite. Have some ketchup."

Mandy said...

Sick days - an underappreciated gem. Much in the same category as "working from home." Basically, any excuse to sleep in is fine by me.

Baby Story - good, Wedding Story - good, Dating Story - too cringe-inducing to watch.