Monday, October 30, 2006

Old Lady Music Reviews

As I think I've mentioned before, I'm frightfully out of touch when it comes to current music. My friends may assume I'm a pop culture queen, cuz of my tv / movies / books knowledge, but I would fail any test on contemporary music, I swear. (And that's not just me keeping expectations low for future pop culture trivia pursuit challenges!) Seriously, I had to ask my brother to "define emo" for me. And what did he say? "Guys who have Flock of Seagulls hair and sing about their feelings." Hmmm. Not so helpful.

Since iPod entered my life last Christmas, I've been working to improve my musical literacy. And now that I have high-speed, downloads happen lickety-split. So there's no reason not to spend 99 cents to check out a new tune!

I've sampled a bunch of new (or new to me) songs lately.... and here are my hits and misses:

John Legend, "Ordinary People" - ****
This is smooth and lyrically interesting. I like his voice, and I love any good use of a piano, since I took more than a decade of lessons myself. I'm not in much of a love song mood, though, so it's not striking me bone-deep just yet.

Kanye West, "Jesus Walks" - **
I remember hearing this in tv ads, I think for "Prison Break." I really like the chanting-style male background vocals and the overall beat. But the girl singers chirping out "Jee! Zus! Walks!" are kind of annoying, and while I appreciate the subject of Kanye's lyrics, I'm not so much into straight-on rap. If I could turn down the lead vocal and just listen to the background, it would be awesome.

Panic! At the Disco, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" - *****
I love this song! My very first emo download, and I think I'm going to have to sample more. I have no idea what the title has to do with the lyrics of the song, but it doesn't matter. I found myself humming this little ditty to myself all weekend, cuz the damn thing is catchy. It's lush, with all kinds of instrumental layers and harmonies, and lyrics that tell a story but are still darn quirky. "I chime in with, Haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door? No, it's much better to face these kinds of things with a sense of poison rationality!" Huh? Not sure. But it's great!

Five for Fighting, "The Riddle" - ***
I've loved "Superman" and "100 Years" since they each came out, so I was excited about a new FfF ballad. And this one is right up the same alley. In fact, I would totally love it, EXCEPT for the fact that it makes a huge grammatical error in the chorus of the song! "Here's a riddle for you. Find the answer. There's a reason for the world, you and I." You and I?!?! He repeats it over and over. But it should clearly be "you and me" !!! Right? Because "me" would be the object, not the subject. As in, "There's a reason. It is me." Not "It is I." Aaaargh! It drives me crazy! I'm just going to sing along with it as "me", so there.

Justin Timberlake, "SexyBack" - *****
Okay, so I admit, I hated this song the first time I heard it. I just didn't get it. What's with all the electronic nothingness? It doesn't even sound like JT. BUT.... then I listened a few more times. And started moving to the beat. And suddenly, I am under JT's spell. (Here, lyrics don't have to mean anything. "Go 'head, be gone with it..." Whatever, just wiggle your hips.) This is the kind of song that puts a secret smile on my face on the bus. I'm ready to declare "SexyBack" this year's "Dirrty." I have no shame in loving that song, too!

Stay tuned, I'm sure I'll be exploring new tunes soon.... if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'm always ready to point, click, download!

10 comments:

ScottE. said...

I recently fell in love with THE KILLERS...LOVE Sam's Town and am now enjoying their first album Hot Fuss.

John Legend's first CD is really good, haven't heard the newest one yet.

Maybe you should check out Hannah Montana! OK, don't!!!!

Stef said...

I had discovered the Killers last year somehow, and have a few songs from their first album loaded on my iPod. But I've heard the new album is both really good and a little different, so I'll have to check it out!

And I saw so many Hannah Montana commercials this weekend when I was watching old cartoons on the Disney Channel. Vomit.

ScottE. said...

I was just having a conversation last week about The Killers and the two albums...I don't hear this 'difference' that everyone is talking about. They look different, but the sound, to me and at least one other person, is virtually the same. Mmmm? But I do prefer the newer album.

Anonymous said...

I can't stop totally loving Sexy back. I can't help it. I don't know if you like indigo girls, but their new album (yes, I still buy albums, jewel cases and all) is good. The first song lyrics are amazing.
AS

Anonymous said...

I just can't like the new Killers. I like "When you were young" and that's it. Still in love with She Wants Revenge. The new Scissor Sisters is a classic album.

And SexyBack makes me want to mount someone. Don't care who. Anyone near me when it comes on. Love it.

Stef said...

AS: Yeah, that SexyBack does something to ya... ;-) And I loved the Indigo Girls during my college years, but I just haven't gotten into them as much lately.

Joyous: I'll have to check out those Killers songs. And I'll make sure not to be around you when JT's on the radio....!!!

Dancer in DC said...

That's an excellent John Legend song. But you also need to hear "Used To Love U " which I think is even better.

Stef said...

I have now downloaded the Killers' new song, "When You Were Young", plus Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" - and I LOVE them both. Kept listening to them over and over this morning. Fun! More downloading to come...

Anonymous said...

I LURVE Crazy. Especially the first 10 seconds.
AS

Asian Mistress said...

Stef if you need more embarrassing musical sugesstions hit me up! :)

JT's whole CD is pretty good...I like "what goes around comes around"