Tuesday, September 20, 2005

To Beef or Not to Beef?

That is the question I've been pondering. See, I've been picky about whether I eat meat for a long time. I gave up red meat and pork as my New Year's resolution in 1998. I was a full-on vegetarian from 2002-2003, when I first moved to DC. Then I found I could no longer resist the siren song of Buffalo wings (I am an Upstate girl, after all) and went back on poultry and fish sometime in the late summer 2003. A few months later, I was at an IHOP in Richmond and decided to try a piece of bacon. My god, it was heavenly, so I was back on pork.

For the whole time, though, I've resisted eating red meat. My initial decision was a combination of health and moral reasons. I became a true vegetarian for moral reasons, but then self-control (lack thereof) and a need for better nutrition made me switch back. I was a bad vegetarain, eating pretty much only pasta, pizza, and grilled cheese. Now I'm starting to wonder why I don't eat red meat, why I still put up the fuss. It's pretty much just on principle now. But I read somewhere once that you should *never* do anything on principle, that's not reason enough.

Plus, all summer long those hot dogs at RFK have smelled freakin' fantastic. And burgers sound pretty good, too. I'm not so into steak, never was, and I really don't think I'd like that taste all that much after all this time. But a good bowl of chili at a restaurant -- not veggie or turkey, but real chili -- also sounds damn good.

So, reader poll - what should I do? Should I just suck it up and start eating beef again? It's starting to feel like just a matter of time.... not sure when it will happen, but it's feeling like it will sometime soon.

3 comments:

ScottE. said...

I think you know my answer!!!! Mooooo = Yum. And on principle, there are so many 'organic' ways to go now, especially if you hit a whole foods....so you can be more guilt free.

Anonymous said...

I was a vegetarian for a while, but it was the call of the Quarter Pounder with Cheese that pulled me back in. You've lasted much longer than I did, and I commend you, but beef is really frickin' good. Come back!

Stef said...

To be fair, TP did put in his vote for me to stay off the red meat.... so we're at 2-1 so far. Any other voters? I know MCB loves the idea of planning a "Meat Party" - which sounds way too dangerous for me. :-)