This is continuing a conversation started by ScottE and MCB, which ScottE has discussed on his blog. So we've been talking about places in DC that are over-rated, versus places that actually do live up to the hype. I've come up with a little list of my own, based on my experiences in the DC social/cultural scene --
5 Places that are Over-rated
1. Cakelove
2. Tryst
3. The Diner
4. Clyde's
5. The bar in any Kimpton Hotel
5 Places/Activities that Live Up to the Hype (or that Deserve More Hype)
1. The Original Jumbo Slice (as long as that's the name of the one that's closest to the corner of 18th & Columbia)
2. Kramerbooks
3. That photo gallery/boutique on Connecticut - I think his name is Claude Taylor
4. Walking the Mall and the Monuments on a sunny day
5. Regal Gallery Place Cinemas
5 Places/Things I Need to Explore to See if they Deserve the Hype
1. The new Columbia Heights Giant
2. the National Museum of the American Indian
3. Busboys & Poets
4. Screen on the Green
5. Pasta Mia
5 More that are Over-rated (Cuz I couldn't stop thinking of more)
1. Coppi's
2. Jaleo
3. 701 Restaurant
4. Lauriol Plaza
5. Georgetown (I just don't get it, probably because I don't have a car so it's hard for me to get there and it just doesn't seem worth it. The storefronts along M Street are adorable, sure, but I don't care for the crowds, the parking, the prices, etc.)
So what's your list? Agree or disagree on any of these?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Ohhhh, shot throught the heart!
I agree with your first set of overrated...but which "The Diner" is that, where?
But I have to disagree with Coppi's. I've been 6-10 times and have had a great time each time I've been. And some great food as well. One dish that I had to try to make when I got home!
I would add Cafe Atlantico to the over-rated list. Not had a good experience yet...but I don't care for too much seafood.
ScottE: The Diner is the one on 18th near Columbia. It's hard to beat the convenience, cuz I can literally roll out of bed and be there in 5 minutes, but for good breakfast food I really do prefer Luna Grill in Dupont. And sorry, but I had a really disappointing time at Coppi's. Part of the problem is I just don't like "gourmet pizza" so Ella's is also out in my book. When it comes to pizza, I prefer the big, greasy, traditional style!
DcLc: I love the Zoo! But I've never been to the Spy Museum, so that came close to making the list of places I need to explore. And, um, mirrors and urinals? The whole urinal experience seems bizarre enough for you guys to go through, why'd they have to add mirrors? *shudder*
Yes, yes, yes on Cakelove, Lauriol Plaza, and ScottE's suggestion of Cafe Atlantico. One thing I will say, however, is that Georgetown has a lot to offer if you spend a little time there - which is something I never would've done if I hadn't worked there for two years.
Au Pied du Cochon and Bistro Francais are both excellent French haunts. Amma Vegetarian Kitchen is one of my favorite Indian places, and Mr. Smiths is the place to go for good cheap burgers. Please just give G'town a chance!
Also, I hate the Columbia Heights Giant. It has done nothing but disappoint me with lame selection, pricey produce, and surly customer service. I go there, because sometimes I have to, but I'm not a fan.
Even though Lauriol Plaza is overrated and overrcrowded...I still love it!
What about Chloe for overrated. Or hell, 90% of the bars in Adams Morgan anyway. Haha.
Wow Stef, this really touched a nerve! Lauriol Plaza and Cake Love belong on this list, without a doubt. I'm also gonna have to put Teaism in that category (it's nothing personal! Really!). As for Busboys and Poets, I haven't been there, but I've heard that the service is atrocious. Let me know if that's true!
I have one addition to your "lives up to the hype" list: walking the Mall and the Monuments on a clear night. The FDR and Korean War monuments? Definitely worth the hype. OK, one more: Dinner at Vidalia.
MCB
Oh no! That one hurts. Teaism is one of my favorites! It's been a friend to me through many phases -- my vegetarian phase, my South Beach phase, my on-and-off dieting phase, and my need for warm food on a cold day. I love the bento boxes and I crave the spinach curry about once a week. I love that they're within spitting distance of my office, cuz I know without fail that I can find something there that fits my mood and my dietary need at any given moment. They were even a good compromise place that both of my parents liked when they were here. I shall stand by Teaism forever! :-)
Busboys & Poets - terrible, horrible service, but I was at the table with all the laptop lame-o's, so maybe at a real table, it's better.
Columbia Heights Giant - Onyah, how could 'ya? I LOVE it. fabulous mix of yuppie and 'hood and I've always had REALLY nice people there.
Georgetown - since they took away the Bayou and the independent movie theatre that was there when I was in school, haven't been able to get back into it. however, a shout out to Quick Pita - surprise best middle eastern food in the city, and I should know.
AS
Post a Comment