Sunday, November 06, 2005

Where's the Line?

Between flattering and creepy?

As I've mentioned before, I take cabs fairly often. And I'm chatty with the drivers. It's never seemed to be a concern before, but I had a strange experience tonight that makes me think maybe I should chat a little less. Read the story and let me know what you think....

I hopped in a cab in Dupont tonight, and when I told the driver my address he turned at me and said "X Street? Really?" I said Yes, and then he said "Wow, you know I've been looking for you!" I figured this was just Saturday night small talk, so I kinda laughed and let it go. He said "You don't believe me that I've been looking for you?" And he's kinda laughing and sounds very cheery and non-threatening when he says this. I then replied with something like "Oh, it's Saturday night, I don't believe much on a Saturday night." He kept at it though, and said "You don't believe me? Do you remember me? Stefanie?"

Um, red flag. WHAT? He knows my name? I said "No, I don't remember you...." And he's still kinda cheery and says "Oh, I gave you my number once and said you could call me anytime. I picked you up at X Street (near my work) and dropped you off at X Street (my apartment)." Hmmmmm......this is starting to seem pretty weird. I kinda laugh and say No, I don't remember, and then we laugh about how it's a small town and you're bound to run into people again.

Then he started an apparent small-talk conversation about what kind of stuff I like to do for fun, where I like to go out, etc. I kept it very vague and was still friendly, but made sure I mentioned that I had just had a guy friend stay with me (he doesn't need to know that he's my gay guy friend).

When we finally pulled up almost to my apartment, he said something like "is this where we're going? Are you sure?" But I didn't hear it clearly, so I'm not sure that's exactly what it was. When he stopped, I already had my money out and leaned forward to hand it to him. He said "Keep your money and let me take you out for a few drinks." Hmmm. Again, I smiled, but insisted that he take the money. He kept saying otherwise and refused to take the cash, so I ended up just dropping it down onto his seat. He tried to give me his number again, but I started getting out and said there was no need for him to give me his number, that this is a small town and we'd probably run into each other again. Probably not the 100% best thing to say, but I needed to just end this conversation and keep it from getting negative.

So I think this was just a case of a guy being nice and asking me out, which I could just take as flattering....but I'm not totally sure. The fact that he remembered me was creepy, and that he knows where I live. He was not at all threatening in his demeanor. But I do think this needs to be a lesson for me to be more careful about what I do say when I'm being chatty. Less personal, no names. What do you think? Would you have done anything different? Or should I do anything different?

I'm gonna have to think about this for a while....perhaps it's best for both my wallet and my sense of well-being to be more anonymous and stick to the bus/Metro as much as possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a cabbie who remembered me, and remembered exactly where I lived. I tried, like you, to be nice and just compliment his excellent memory, but it did freak me out a bit. It is a little unsettling - this group of strangers rolling around the city who know, if nothing else, exactly where you live!

Anonymous said...

Damn stef, between the creepy cabbie and seashell boy, you have really found some winners this week!

Stef said...

Yeah, I know. I guess it's my hidden talent...... if I had my choice, I'd pick a much cooler superpower. Like the ability to fly or to talk to animals or something.