Monday, November 21, 2005

I Love a Good Hobby


Tonight was another photography class. It was the first critique of everyone's work. This summer, I was really nervous on the first critique, but I was really looking forward to tonight and enjoyed it a great deal. I love seeing what other people do with their images - what they see - and learning from the choices they make and the techniques they use.

And I like getting feedback and advice on my own work. I didn't have the best images to show tonight, cuz I was having a few challenges with those darn streetlights. But I do really like the one I posted below and this one here, and I got a good response on both. And some of my fellow classmates had a few really great images both in color and b&w. This city has many different faces at night. I love that spending 2 hours looking at images and discussing them can be such a total escape - I don't think about work or life or anything else while I'm in class. It's totally worth it!

I was catching up on what they learned last week and I'm excited to try it - it's a technique called "bracketing." You change the F-stop or the shutter speed in small increments and keep taking the same shot to see how the light levels and intensities change the overall image. One guy in the class had some amazing results and I was really inspired by his images. So keep watching this space for more images...

In the meantime, our instructor said that there were over 120 submissions for the juried show. I don't know what my chances are, but I'd love to see another piece of mine hanging on the wall. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

ScottE. said...

I had photography in college and it was a great class. I learned what I really wanted--developing film and making prints.

And now we're in the age of digital and I need a new camera my sucks!

Sharkbait said...

I will be thinking of you-best of luck. I think it's awesome that you have that kind of talent. I always wished I could take beautiful pictures (my sister can and it's so cool), but me-not so much.

Definately feel free to post and share!