Monday, November 07, 2005

Let the Buzz Begin

Fall is my favorite time of year for movies. Some people go deer hunting or duck hunting or whatever. I go Oscar-bait hunting. Fun! So I thought I'd start sharing some of my predictions for nominations....perhaps this could lead to an Oscar poll and/or party. I haven't done one in a few years, but heck, the Oscars are my Superbowl!

So, first up, I offer for your consideration.....

Capote
  • Best Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman (The man is a master, and he totally loses himself in this role. His Truman Capote is funny, charming, sad, unsettled, and at time surprising in his level of both strength and manipulation. Hidden beneath that flamboyant facade was a very shrewd writer and student of the human experience.)
  • Best Supporting Actor - Clifton Collins, Jr. (His performance starts out very quietly, but that slow burn really pays off in the last 1/2 hour of the film. I've never seen him before but he's pretty darn unforgettable.)
  • Best Supporting Actress - Catherine Keener (She's great in just about everything she does. This role, as Harper Lee, is a little underwritten but she does manage to liven up a few key scenes where she challenges Truman to be better -- a better writer and a better person.)
  • Best Adapted Screenplay (I think adapted cuz I seem to recall this was based on a book. But the writing was fantastic. And I think Academy voters will probably like the story behind this film - that it's three best friends who put it together, and one directed, one wrote the screenplay, and one starred as the main character.)

So this is my first toss of a hat into the ring. I've seen some other good movies this year -- Cinderella Man, A History of Violence - but this is the first one that really feels to me like it's gonna be a player come Oscar time. I can't wait!

Oh, and Onyah's recommendation, I did watch 28 Days Later. Creepy! But it was also a surprisingly provocative film and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Zombies aren't really my thing, but apocalyptic horror/science fiction can be downright fun.

4 comments:

Sharkbait said...

Very nice. I will have to check out the movies I haven't seen yet!

Sounds like you had a great weekend and those are awesome pictures. Do you like your digital camera? I am looking to jump into the digital camera world...haha who develops film anymore?! :-)

Stef said...

Thanks. I *love* my digital camera. Digital lets you do things that I've found can really help with how my photos turn out. Everything from seeing it on the screen to playing with color and light levels, shutter speed, etc. My digital camera was very affordable and has become my most prized possession.

Anonymous said...

This is the best time of year for quality movies! The list of must-see's is growing. I'm glad you enjoyed "Capote." I've really like Philip Seymour Hoffman since I first saw him in "Boogie Nights," and I'm so glad that he's making the transition from respected-but-obscure to possible Oscar contender!
MCB

ScottE. said...

Did you get to Jarhead? Jamie Fox was good, but the role could have been better. Peter Saarsgard was great! Jake was cute.