I just got out of a cab in which I had a truly entertaining conversation with the driver. He's an 82 year old jazz musician named Bobby who drives the cab just to pick up some extra cash. Bobby was regaling me with all these amazing stories about his heyday of playing in clubs along U Street and at hotels around town. He's played with Shirley Horn and he even played at Clarence Thomas's wedding, although he was sure to point out "I don't much care for him." He even told me a few off-color stories about the women he's known, and how their husbands have reacted. What a fascinating character, and he's so full of life and energy and totally has that sparkle of mischief in his eye. It made me really wish I was a writer, cuz he would be the great basis of a novel.
The conversation made me think of two things, really. First is that I really need to check out DC's jazz scene. I've been here 3 years and still have never been to any of the live music clubs, and I really should go. Anyone want to venture out with me?
Second, is that I again realized how much I love DC's cab drivers. I spend way too much money taking taxis and should be using the bus or Metro instead, but I have had so many fascinating conversations with drivers that I just love seeing what may happen when I hop into a cab. I have found that, for the most part, DC's drivers are a fascinating bunch of people. They tend to be very personable, extremely informed about current events (many seem to listen to NPR all day long) and often about DC history, and have really colorful opinions that they're usually pretty ready to share.
I've found that it usually just takes me laughing or snorting at something I hear on the radio to get a driver started on whatever the topic at hand. I have learned about the history of this city, about a lot of different countries that people are from, about conversations they've overheard from other passengers, and about a whole wide range of political and social viewpoints that I never would've heard from the usual group of people I talk to. Maybe that's part of why I like it so much, cuz these are guys who I probably wouldn't run into to have a real conversation with very often in my normal daily routine, so it's like it's a whole window into another world of experience right here in DC.
So, my advice: Take a cab every once in a while. You just might find yourself having the best darn conversation of your day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment