Friday, October 07, 2005

Don't Fence Me In

So what's the deal with this border fence idea? I hate to let them think I'm a supporter, but I've been spending time checking out the web site of the group that's trying to build a fence all along the US-Mexico border. Immigration is not my area of expertise, but I tend to fall on the liberal side of this as well as most other issues. I know from some exposure to articles during the 2004 election season that immigration along the Mexican border is becoming more and more of a challenge, particularly with illegal immigrants (I hate the word "aliens") creating a burden on many of the emergency/health care systems in the Southwest, along with the labor issues involved.

But do people really think that building a fence is gonna solve the problem? This group cites the Israeli border fence as an example of what they want to accomplish. Of course they're couching this all in the language of national security. I start to get really worried when I hear super-isolationist immigration talk like this. Pat Buchanan and his gang of xenophobes don't seem to jive with Lady Liberty's open invitation to the land of opportunity.

Does anyone know any more about this as an issue? Any better suggestions than just building a fence???

No comments: