Friday, October 21, 2005

How Hot is Too Hot?

I took today off to take care of some *ahem* personal stuff, and then I met CG for lunch. FYI, the Austin Grill chili is of the all-beef, all-the-time variety. No beans or veggies or anything. Just a really spicy beef stew. It was good, but I wanted more variety to it.

When we left, I went to Olsson's with the thought that I would get a chai latte to go (Olsson's really does have my favorite chai of all time) and walk around checking out books then head home. I got the tall chai, and the lady handed it to me in the to go cup, and she said "careful, it's very hot." I picked it up in the little heat-sleeve thing, and YOUCH! It was super-hot. I must've yelped or something cuz the lady then gave me some napkins to use outside the heat-sleeve to even hold the cup. I walked over into the book section and started looking around, thinking I might try to find Jeffrey Sacks' book cuz I just had a fascinating conversation about him, but this hot cup was becoming a real problem. I don't think I'm overly sensitive, but my fingertips were burning. There wasn't really a surface anywhere to set the cup down and I couldn't even focus on looking for books cuz it hurt.

I decided to go outside to see if the cool air would help. It didn't, and now I found myself walking around with a super-hot cup and nowhere to put it down. I went to stand near a garbage can and took off the lid, almost laughing when I saw this huge burst of steam come out of the cup. Then I became the weirdo who was just standing on a very heavily trafficked sidewalk with a steaming cup, blowing onto my drink. In my way too matchy-matchy outfit that I regretted wearing today. (Love my green shoes, shouldn't wear them with a green top.)

This went on for about 10 minutes, then I tried taking a sip. YEEEOWCH! It burned my lips, tongue, mouth, throat, maybe even my soul. It was so freakin' hot! It's not good to drink a sip and have tears come to your eyes. I considered just throwing it away, cuz I wanted to hop in a cab and head home. But that was nearly 4 dollars' worth of super-hot chai, and I am cheap at heart. So I kept walking up and down the block, blowing on my drink and taking painful sips.

When I couldn't take it anymore, I did catch a cab. Turns out I got Speed Racer as a driver, so it then became an exercise in "how steady is my hand?" as I tried to not spill the superhot chai on me as Speed Racer hit every pothole on 15th Street. Finally I made it home and set the chai down. After about a half an hour, it was safe to drink. And delicious!

Really, why would anyone order their drink "extra hot?" To me, that sounds way too extra painful.

Aren't you glad I have a blog to tell you such a riveting story??? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo- sorry to hear about your scalding experience! Funny though- I just got into an argument (OK, heated debate) this weekend with my mother and grandmother about the woman who sued McDonalds after she was scalded with too-hot coffee. Now I can give them a real-life example that the stuff really exists! MCB