Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Fighting the Blahs

I have bad allergies and a life-long problem with my sinuses, so I pretty much have a low-level cold (or what I call the "blahs") for a good 6 months out of the year. I'm getting pretty tired of it! I recently got a recommendation that I should try echinaecha, and I'm thinking about picking up some of that and/or some Vitamin C to start taking daily. Does anyone have any experience with using either as a regular routine to stay healthy and blah-free? Any recommendations or complaints?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Institute of Medicine and US government recommend @75 mg of Vitamin C a day for women. A good way to get that is a daily multivitamin- which hopefully you're already taking! The vitamins are great for keeping you strong, and able to fight off infections, but I don't know what effect it'll have on sinus problems. How about just a plain ol' antihistamine?

A balanced diet and plenty of rest is the best thing of all. But who has time for that stuff? MCB

Sharkbait said...

Hey Stef- I take the Vitamin C as close to daily as possible...I always forget. But it does help. I too have awful allergies that give me the blahs..You never feel 100% - I know.

Give it a shot, and the gym definately helps too!

Let me know how you make out!

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Two Flintstones (or PowerPuff Girls) chewable vitamins a day, plus Emergen'C packets dissolved in water when you feel the blahs coming on.

Oh, and did I mention I take Flonase and Zyrtec 10 months out of the year?

Stef said...

Thanks all. I do think I'm gonna pick up some Vitamin C cuz I'm sure I don't get enough in my diet. (diet soda and sandwiches? yeah, probably not.) And I'll continue to live on my Allegra - thank goodness they just came out with a generic kind!

Anonymous said...

I started taking daily echinacea supplements a few years ago and I have not gotten sick since. I really really think that they work and I really do recommend them to people all the time. And I am someone who thinks herbal medicine is crap.

Anonymous said...

not to dishearten ellen, but my aunts who are nurses have said that echinacea really doesn't do anything. I still take it sometimes though when a cold is coming on. Also, zinc losenges when a cold is coming on. they taste gross, but I think they work.
AS