Saturday, October 22, 2005

Gymtimidation

I don't know why it's such a psychological battle to get myself to the gym. I'm currently in what's got to be close to the worst shape of my life (perhaps only 2nd to the Whopper-every-night phase of Sophomore year or the "I live off campus and drive to all my classes" Senior year in college) so I should be pretty motivated, right? I mean, it's not like it's hard for me to get the gym - it's in my freakin' basement. But what's that rule of inertia? An object at rest likes to stay at rest? And for some reason going to the gym can just be pretty intimidating when you're not a total gym bunny type (I liken myself to that woman in the Diet Dr. Pepper commercial who shoots laser beams of death out her eyes to the little blondes in their cute workout outfits.)

But today the little angel on my right shoulder won out over the devil on my left (it sits on a comfy recliner) and I went to the gym. I think this was the first time since early summer, maybe? Wow, that's bad. A year ago I was going to the gym about 5-6 times a week and my legs were starting to get a nice muscle-y shape. I can't promise I'll get back to that point, but at least I've broken through the other side.... next stop, tomorrow. I think I can face that bike again. Nothing's more motivating than that full wall of mirrors....yeesh! An added bonus? Some guy who lives in my building was working out shirtless, and let's just say that whatever he's doing, he's doing it right. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! Let's keep each other motivated- I've been bad lately. MCB

Sharkbait said...

Hey Stef-That's awesome! The first step is the hardest. I am still having motivational issues myself, except my gym is at my work, not at home. The smallest battles are the hardest ones.

Anytime you need motivation, you let me know, we can help each other out :-)

It's nice to know there's a fellow upstater around here. I don't know many in the area, although I hear there are a ton!