Thursday, October 20, 2005

Senator Lucky Duck

Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) just won more than $850,000 in the PowerBall lottery. Can you believe it? I heard 2 women talking about it on the bus on the way home, saying that people were immediately starting to scrutinize how the money will be spent and that he's supposedly donating a lot to his foundation. But I had to admit I was really confused wondering what they could be talking about, only hearing snippets of "Senator" and "big donation" and "PowerBall." Then I saw this story that cleared it up.

The Republican from New Hampshire -- who chairs the Budget Committee and who has a reputation as a strict fiscal conservative -- said his wife is currently remodeling their home and already has plans for the new money.
"She's already told me, 'Don't spend it. I've already got plans.'"


"I don't plan to quit my job," he said with a smile.

He will owe 25 percent in federal taxes on the $853,492. New Hampshire doesn't have state income taxes and so he will get to keep the rest.


Wow, I could think of a few better ways to use that money. Not remodeling a Senator's house. not even Trent Lott's house. I hope that they do put most of that money to good use.

No comments: