
I was told yesterday that I have the iPod of a 47-year-old woman. Ouch! Now, I admit to not being very up on current trends or hits in music.... I don't listen to the radio and for some fluke reason MTV and VH1 don't come through very well on my cable. My usual source for new music is either word of mouth or new movie soundtracks. A little sad, but I accepted being out of touch with "what the kids are listening to" ages ago.
But I don't want my poor iPod to feel like a fuddy-duddy! So I'm looking to you, my blog friends, to share recommendations on fun new music that's worth a 99 cent download.
My usual tastes are pretty simple -- I like the same stuff I've been listening to my whole life, and the iPod currently features a wide selection from Madonna (including the new album), U2, Prince, George Michael, and Bruce Springsteen. I'm also indulging in my guilty pleasure of the little pop tartlets, so I've got several Christina Aguilera selections (Dirrty is rocking my world these days) and some Britney and Kelly Clarkson. I also have the Garden State soundtrack, some of The Killers, and the whole Maroon 5 album. Another guilty pleasure category helps me reminisce on my hair band days -- Bon Jovi, Poison, GnR. Then I've got a bunch of 70's stuff - Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, James Taylor, Elton John.
The first step is admitting I need help -- what are some of the new songs or artists you've discovered that are worth a listen? My newest addiction is "Take Your Mama" by the Scissor Sisters, which was a Scotte recommendation. Any suggestions?



9 comments:
Welcome to the Sisterhood! My guess is you'd like 80% of the whole album!!! A good place to go!
I like alanis' new single, crazy...a cover of seal's song...it's dancy and gay and fun.
Franz Ferdinand: Do you want to & Take Me out
Gwen Stefani...Hollaback Girl
Jack Johnson is great, In Between Dreams is the new album and I like all of it, with maybe an exception of one or two songs.
I downloaded Lita Ford's Kiss Me Deadly the other day...how's that for 80's hair metal! Kiss Me Once, Kiss Me Twice, Come on baby, Kiss me again! Oh and some Skid Row and Poison...but that's not really up to date.
I have to admit that 60% of my iPod is Melissa Etheridge, Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton and showtunes. The rest is a random collection similiar to what you have already. Those listed above are some new'ish highlights. And more power to the poptarts...I have them all as well!
looking back....talk about iPod psychology. Someone has to have written a thesis on this! Instead of myers brigg, it's "what is on your iPod."
also I do need to recommend podcasts! They are great entertainment and also a great source of news commentary.
Your ipod isn't that bad, really! It just needs a little updating, that's all. Hey, at least you have one. I'm one of 12 people on the face of the planet who still listens to cds, apparently. Mea culpa for calling your ipod tastes "old". Love you!
You should check out DC9's playlist from the Liberation Dance Party on Friday nights. It's very new, punky-poppy-dancey up to the minute stuff. It's how I learned about Louis XIV, Bloc Party and The Bravery, among others. http://www.liberationdanceparty.com/
Scotte: Thanks for all the suggestions. You know, deep down, I aspire to have the iPod of a gay man. I haven't checked out podcasts yet, but I saved the links you sent and will soon. And as for the iPod as psychology test - great idea! I'll probably do a future post about how my little iPod is coming along, if it feels like less of a fuddy-duddy.
Joyous: I wasn't gonna out you, but thanks for fessing up on being the one to mock my poor little nano. :-) I'll check out that link, and I'm exploring different mixes on iTunes. Fun!
I've been buying a lot of albums on iTunes lately myself. Here is an assortment of good singles from the albums I've bought in the last year:
Caterpillar Girl - Lou Barlow
E-Pro - Beck
Easy - The Beta Band (they came out with a Best Of this year)
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz (yay!)
Holdin' On Together - Phoenix
What I'm Trying to Say - Stars
I Turn My Camera On - Spoon
I've made a conscious attempt here to consider your musical tastes as I understand them (which are a little less, shall we say, experimental than mine). Try listening to 20 seconds of them... hopefully something will work well for you!
Oh, and the Scissor Sisters album rocks my world! Their remake of Comfortably Numb is the most addictive song!
ONYAH: Isn't that an awesome song! I love it. The sisters were the first songs I downloaded to my iPod and when I heard that song I was HOOKED and had to get the whole thing the minute it came out...then Joyous was hooked...and J-lo and it just went out from there!
OK, I'll bite. Some of my favorites lately: XTC (Skylarking, the album); Remarkable Palate (podcast); The Corrs; Tori Amos (remixes); Dianne Reeves - Soundtrack for Good Night and Good Luck; Posession -remix (Sarah McLachlan); Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters; The Postal Service, and the usual tons of Indigo Girls, Melissa, R.E.M. Curious about: Jamie Cullum, Barenaked Ladies (new live album), Walk the Line (soundtrack).
And my new obsession, all the music from the A&E series, Rollergirls.
-j (good to see you too) and yes, fun is right around the corner!
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm gonna try some of these out -- at 99 cents each, that's not so bad!
I have to admit, though, I'm not so interested in Jack Johnson. The songs I've heard sound like total snoozers to me... something about his voice induces narcolepsy in me.
Post a Comment