Saturday, January 28, 2006

Fun Among the Fishes

Another Friday night has passed, another good time was had by all....

Last night, many of my original plans ended up getting changed midway through, but it was one of those nights full of fortuitous turns and funny moments:

  • After a work meeting at 5 o'clock on a Friday (eeek!), a work friend and I headed back to the office to drop off stuff before heading out. We just happened to be there at the right moment to run into my good friend T, whose plans had just been wiped out for the evening, so he came along.
  • We started out at the opening of Bruce McKaig's new exhibit Time Markers at the DC Arts Center. Very cool - folks should check it out!
  • While at the exhibit, we were approached by volunteers from Whitman-Walker who were handing out free "sex boxes" - which became a major part of the entertainment for the evening. They came complete with rubber gloves, lubricant, condoms, and flavored dental dams!
  • The 3 of us then moved to The Reef and held court near the big fish tank for hours. MH and The Johnson soon joined us, and even though the other 2 couples who were supposed to join in (bah! bailers!) never made it, there were certainly enough stories to go around.
  • Midway through the evening, I "picked up" 2 girls in the bathroom who were having a crisis, cuz the one girl's brand new necklace had broken. MH has taken jewelry classes, so I suggested they come over and maybe she could help. Turns out that The Johnson, who's an engineer, whipped out a tool from his pocket and quickly fixed it. But as he was working, he missed the two girls kissing and then loudly declaring "I like boys!" The peanut gallery was ready to start tossing the sex boxes....
  • Then, suddenly I noticed that the guys standing next to me were getting more animated and dancing around, and I kept getting one guy's a@@ rubbing against my leg. Hmmm.... so of course, we all had to call them over. They were 3 young British bucks - I correctly called their age at 22 - who were fascinated when we shared the sex boxes with them. One young Brit blew up the ruber gloves and started tossing them about like a beach ball, another couldn't figure out what the lubricant was, and kept saying "you use this for a girl's fake tits!" and another gave us a language lesson in all of the British slang for the toilets. The boys left after about 1/2 hour cuz "mum" was picking them up in the car outside. But then they reappeared, saying they'd "kicked mum in the head." Hmm.

After we all called it a night, T was nice enough to walk me home. (A whole different category of good guy.) I was hopped up with late-night adrenaline so I fired up the old laptop, and as luck would have it good friend Mandy was bored at work in Yemen (a phrase I'd never thought I'd say) and in the mood to chat. So we have a really great almost 2-hour IM conversation, covering lots of girl talk - analyzing relationships and where we stand on the universal "getting over him" situations, lamenting the fact that none of our guy friends have any guy friends, and counting the days 'til she's back from Yemen so we can go back to Sonoma for another marathon night at the bar!

So, another great night spend with good people. Most days, I don't even notice that I'm single cuz I've got so much love from so many great funny, caring, intelligent, interesting friends. :-)

No comments: