Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!


2006 is off to a great start so far! This year, I rang in the New Year in the company of good friends, which is really the best way to do it. Mr. and Mrs. L (the Newlyweds) hosted the gang for a sleepover at their brand new house up in MD. (Don't ask me where. Once we're past Bethesda I never know where I am, I just trust in whoever is driving me around. The blessing and the curse of being carless.) We had a Wisconsin New Year's, complete with squeaking cheese curds and the tastiest beef sticks ever. Plus, Mrs. L made super-tasty, and super-rum-laced wassail, which I hope we have at every function from now on. We traded belated Christmas presents - hence the boppin' Bozo - and indulged our dorky sides with a few Cheap Ass Games. By the time I turned in at 3:30 am, the New Year was already pretty darn fun.

January 1 has been calm and relaxing so far, too. After a yummy homemade cornmeal berry cake (courtesy of Mandy, who also made berry cobbler last night), the L's, Brunette and I spent 4 hours on the couch watching a marathon of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thanks, Mr. L, for letting us girls control the tv! Oh, and there were more cheese curds and beefsticks as well as kabobs to be had. The diet starts tomorrow!

On the way home, I happened to catch the first sunset of the New Year. It was so gorgeous that there were at least 3 of us stopping to take pictures as we walked along the Ellington Bridge. Pretty cool, huh?

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

ScottE. said...

I have the same bozo...he sits on my desk when I'm in a mood and don't want people to expect anything nice from me!

we spent New year's eve day in Atlantic City, the night in a tiny little beach town south of there and had an amazing night with a really effed up game of UNO! effed up by the 4 bottles of champagne!

Merry New Year! We had the lovely sunset from our balcony it was very nice!

Stef said...

Scotte, glad to hear you guys had fun! We were all talking about you as we were eating the cheese curds - your post on fried curds is now famous! :-)

DC Food Blog said...

Sounds like a wonderful New Year's Eve. Like you, we had a chill night with friends, staying up until 3:30pm and sleeping over. Here's to a great 2006!

Brunette said...

Yeah, that was a really fun time. (Encrypted bikini!) Happy new year!

And BTW, the C&M house is out in the area formerly known as Gaithertucky.

Anonymous said...

Arrgghh, Gaithertucky?! I'm so enraged that I'm tempted not to post my wassail recipe. Nah, we do live kinda far out. Here's the recipe from my friend, Heidi Lang:

Mom’s Favorite “Wassail”

1 qt. water
1 tbs. whole cloves
1 cup brown sugar
1 can pineapple juice
1 cup sugar
1 can apple juice
4-5 cinnamon sticks
rum (optional)

On stove top, combine water, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Simmer for about an hour or longer. Add pineapple juice, apple juice, and rum. Serve hot.

For added flavor and presentation when serving, scatter orange slices.

(for the apple juice, just use one container - they are usually sold in large plastic containers and for the pineapple juice - if you can find unsweeten, use that instead. If it tastes a little sweet, you can add about a cup of orange juice to cut some of the sweetness)

Stef said...

Haha! I'll have you know, not-Spanish, that it was *your sister* who said Gaithertucky, not me! :-)