Sunday, January 29, 2006

Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood?

So Brunette left it up to me to pick the restaurant for our fancy-dinner "friend date" tonight. We're celebrating both her recent 30th birthday and my big raise, so we decided we'd splurge and not worry about the budget. (haha, I accidentally typed "20th birthday" at first on this -- Brunette, we probably celebrated that one together, too!) So I spent a lot of time on the Internets today researching restaurants and decided that we would try one right here in Adams Morgan, Cashion's Eat Place. I'll report on the meal later....

One thing that became very obvious to me as I was doing that research is that I really have not explored the options in own neighborhood. There are so many interesting, independent eateries that are in such a short walking distance to my apartment, it's really a little embarrassing that in 2 1/2 years on 16th Street I haven't really tried many. For all my griping that there's more to life than The Diner, I really need to do a better job supporting the neighborhood myself.

So, I have a new goal.... I want to sample all that Adams Morgan restaurants have to offer. I've heard good and bad reviews of places, but I want to check them out myself. Ones I'd really like to try:
  • Pasta Mia
  • Blue Fin
  • LeftBank
  • 18th & U Diner
  • San Marco
  • The Grill from Ipanema
  • The Little Fountain Cafe
  • Felix
  • Mama Ayesha's

And I'm sure there are more.... I'll definitely be posting on my progress. So does anyone have a favorite AdMo eatery? Any recommendations or bad experiences?

9 comments:

Sean Hennessey said...

i like ...hell whats the name??/...
the Astor? something like that. middle east junk food.


I like el tamarindo, but Darn Knit doesnt.


amsterdamn felaful.

perry's is nice but its been years since i've been there.


addis ababa. i love ethiopian dishes. and their coffee.

apparently theres a good pizza parlor in mt pleasant .....

Anonymous said...

I love Cashions.
Make sure you have a drink at the bar. Make sure you also try the avocado and grapefruit salad.

Brunette said...

I also highly recommend Rumba Cafe on 18th Street. AS and I stumbled in there for lunch one day when the wait at the Diner was intolerable. Great food, cute little place. I'd love to go after work sometime- I hear they have live Latin music 4 nights a week, and some great drinks!

The Tart said...

My tummy is grumbling....yikes I am hungry now!
Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

L'Enfant Cafe (next to Stacatto's)has a nice brunch. Have you checked out Western Market when its there in the summer? that's fun, too!
I've also been to Left Bank for brunch - slow service, but I like the atmosphere. Small portions. Meskerem had good ethiopian.
AS

Mandy said...

Perry's isn't bad - their drag queen brunch is really only worth it for the entertainment - the food is so-so and expensive. But dinner is good - still expensive, though. A word of warning for Pasta Mia - expect a healthy-sized wait, and your seating life will be much easier if you go with just one other person. (I haven't been there yet, this is just advice I've been given...)

Anonymous said...

I've been to a few of these places...

Blue Fin was kinda disappointing. They have sushi and tapas, and by the time you order 3 items (so as to form a meal), you've spent $35. And they're only so-so.

Leftbank has excellent brunch! Go there! Soon!

The Grill from Ipanema is quite tasty as well. The capirinhas are the best you're gonna find anywhere, and all of the foodstuffs I've sampled there have been yummy and interesting.

Emily said...

I thought the food at The Grill from Ipanema was overpriced. The beef I had was very tough. The capirinhas were good though.
Little Fountain cafe has a nice, quiet romantic ambience. Can't remember anything about the food though (which says something I guess). Went to Jyoti (Indian restaurant) a few months ago and had a really yucky vegetarian thali platter. I like Meskerem and the falafel place. Further down 18th St. I like Straits of Malaya, Regent Thai, Mt. Everest (Nepali/Tibetan), and Caravan Grill (Persian buffet).

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that for a totally chill low-budget brunch, Tres Gringos in Mt. Pleasant is great.
AS