We single gals find lots of ways to navigate through the social world, and I want to take a moment to give a shout out to some of the very important people who make it happen for us: that certain breed of gal pals' boyfriends/husbands that I'll call the Good Guys. The Good Guys (GG's) are in happy relationships with the women in our lives, and we see them often in all kinds of social settings.
The GG's are special cuz they're the ones who so effortlessly make us feel like we're a part of the party, like we're never the third or fifth or seventh wheel. They make sure that we get our own share of attention and they find little ways to make us feel feminine and safe, without ever crossing any boundary of the comfortable friend relationship. They're the guys who will dance with us, or get into hour-long conversations about movies or books or deep philosophical questions with us at parties. They'll hold the door open for us, they'll look out for us in crowded bars, they'll make sure we make it home safe, and sometimes when they treat for dinner for their girlfriend/wife they'll even treat us, too. Going out with the gal pals and their GG's *never* makes you feel like Bridget Jones, stuck with the "smug marrieds."
I have 4 of these GG's in my life, 3 who've been around for a while and 1 who's new - 2 of them are married, 1 wants to be soon (already calls the gal pal his "wife") and the other 1 certainly should be at least engaged by now! (But that's not my bear to poke.) But I really gotta give it up for these GG's - they make my life more enjoyable, they certainly go out of their way to make sure I don't feel awkward for always being solo, and they give me a whole lot of hope that I'll find a Good Guy of my own out there someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Hey chickie...
I just read this post and thought I must speak up...
Do not give up your GGs girl! Friends are friends and it doesn't matter what their profile. Life is one big small world..who knows where these GGs will lead you...to your own GG or through a life of wonderful friendship with them.
Babe, it's all about friends! Boys & Girls..single or married, kids or no kids...when you are in your mid 40's you will be thankful for this advice.
Love your blog and the great links!
Smooch,
The Tart
Ditto Stef on the Tart's words of wisdom!
Hang on to those GGs.
My friends have the best husbands and boyfriends...and trust me...those married types have internal issues that they supress by trying to be festive...have a heart there! Marriage..not easy.
Great little blog you have.
Will add you to my blog roll.
Hey, do you draw...? Or doodle...Illustration Friday...try it!
I totally heart the GG's. Do you know what's sad? When you meet a new GG for the first time, and you're like "Wow...he is SO nice." And the "wow" is because it seems so rare. :( I'm afraid I love it when a man holds a door for me. So much for women's lib.
Tart: I hear ya! I keep hoping those GG's will introduce me to more of their guy friends, but sadly the only downfall to my GG's is that none of them have any guy friends who live around here! Shucks. I still have hope! :-)
Lyn: Thanks! I love seeing Illustration Fridays on other blogs, but sadly I can not draw. My artistic talent is best directed in operating the camera or playing a piano - NOT picking up a paintbrush or pen. I know my strengths. :-)
Cubie: I know, it's too bad we're jaded enough to feel that "wow!" but maybe meeting more good guys will help put some chinks in that armor.
Aw, I never thought about things that way. I hope my husband is considered a GG to my girlfriends! :)
We certainly try to tone down our sappiness when in front of others. I'm sure that helps...
Hope you're having a good weekend!
you're crazy. all men are bastards.
LB: I'm sure your guy is one of the good ones! And yes, it is always appreciated when couples skip the PDA when we're all out. Thanks for doing that!
SA, you crack me up!
stef>
was there a joke somewhere?
Post a Comment