Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Ugh.


I just did my bills for the first time since after the holidays. Ugh-o-rama. Keep in mind, the pre-holiday zaniness included more than 400 bucks for new contacts AND professional framing of my photo for the show. Opening the envelope for the Visa bill did not make me happy...though I know the gods of Visa love me.

I keep seeing financial advisors on the morning news shows talking about ways to curtail your finances. One of the biggest pieces of advice is that if you're a good credit customer, you should call and try to get them to lower your APR. Has anyone ever tried to do this? Mine isn't horrible, but it's not a single-digit rate either. I may give that a try.

For now, though, I have to pay more attention to that one New Year's resolution of mine - trying to spend less money. For the time being, I think that means staying in more on nights and weekends. (I can't give up buying my lunch - I *have* to have a reason to leave the building, that's for my sanity and others' safety.) I have my Netflix, my friends and I can have some fun trying to cook meals ourselves (as long as it's not in my crap-a@@ kitchen), and game nights are always fun. So who's with me???

Sadly, the first casualty of this new policy is the blogger happy hour. I was on the fence anyway cuz it wasn't working out to be a great night plan-wise... but I'm going to have a quiet night at home and hope to catch all the fun pics and stories on everyone's blogs on Thursday. Have a great time, gang! Drink some beer and eat some fatty Irish food for me! :-)

4 comments:

rania said...

hey stef! i'm up for board game nights anytime! have you played apples to apples before? its really fun.

oops, forgot about the happy hour tomorrow night...guess i'm not going either.

Anonymous said...

Well, you know I'm on a spending freeze now, too. Sucks but we'll make it through. Right?!?!

ScottE. said...

I did my bills yesterday....with the inflated gas bill and my over spending on christmas presents....I need a spanking for spending so much on so few people!

When we moved, we increased our "nights in" and started saving greatly...then I started cooking more elaborate meals and that ate into the funds....so if you keep it basic, more nights in helps! Good luck.

PS: Apples 2 Apples is good fun.

Stef said...

I <3 Apples to Apples! Mandy first got me hooked, and now the gang plays it fairly often! To steal Mandy's line...the best ever Apples to Apples answer anyone of us has heard? With the adjective "touchy-feely" - someone put down Helen Keller! So bad, but so deliciously good.