Saturday, October 22, 2005

Books

Time Magazine has come up with a list of the 100 best novels since 1923. I've only read 11 of them! And I think all 11 were either books that I read in school or a few that we picked up through our book club a few years ago. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

(Although I would argue about Atonement as one of the best novels. As many of you know, I freakin' hated that ending!)

5 comments:

ScottE. said...

I've only read one...Lord of the Flies....I've started or attempted the others....ooops.

Anonymous said...

I've only read 4. And I consider myself a big-time reader. You could say 5 if you put the 1/2 of the Corrections plus the 1/2 of White Teeth. I did not like those books very much. But I gave them a good shot!

If it counts, I have like 10 more of these titles on my bookshelf. I COULD read them if I wanted to! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I've only read 11... what concerns me more is that I haven't even *heard* of half of these. Was my education/pop culture acumen that scattered?
AS

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a literary slacker or something... I've read just a few, and all of those were assigned reading in high school. Have my tastes become low-brow?

On a related note, The Morning News found some one-star reviews on Amazon for many of the books on the list. I agree with a few (Kerouac? Is overrated.) but others are classic.
http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/reviews/lone_star_statements.php

Anonymous said...

Oops- Anonymous above is me!
MCB