I happened to score a pair of tickets to last night's opening of the new show at Ford's Theatre, Trying. I didn't know much about it beforehand, but a gal pal and I headed over prepared for anything and it turned out we both really enjoyed the show.
It's the story of Judge Francis Biddle, who had been Attorney General under FDR and then was the chief American judge at the Nuremburg Trials. The play itself centers on the 6 months of Biddle's life. He's in his 80's and his body and mind are starting to fail, but he has brought on a new secretary to help him write his memoirs. The relationship between the cantankerous but brilliant old lion and the young secretary - a 25-year-old woman's libber from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - really forms the backbone of the play, as they each share stories with the other that illuminate "life lessons" and all. But it's not cheesy - the writing is really crisp and there are a lot of great one-liners, especially from Biddle about being a Democrat. Those actually got some cheers from the audience! It's a very talky play, but those are usually my favorite, and it's filled with both emotion and dry humor. If you liked Wit, you'd probably like this one too.
The casting was great, too. James Whitmore played Biddle, and he was really strong in the role. I know he's a very acclaimed actor, but the biggest thing I remember him in myself is when he was the prisoner who ran the library in The Shawshank Redemption. That was a great character, too. Hmmm... maybe I should rent that movie again.
All in all, it was a great way to spend a Wednesday night. Plus it was free! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Sounds lovely & interesting Stef. But the great Justice Robert H. Jackson was the chief counsel for the Nurenburg trials. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Jackson]. Biddle was there to be certain, but I've always thought he was a much less interesting character. Jackson was even funny on taxes. But I've always liked Whitmore. I think he used to live nearby too. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'
Ooops, my bad! I didn't even know who Biddle was before the show, so that was just my recollection from the dialogue. He did seem like a fascinating guy.
Would that we had more Justices like Jackson today. And Willy Rehnquist slandered him badly with his notes on the Brown (1954) case. Even then, Bill was a perfect study for the arrogant SOB he wold soon become. That's the way Nixon eventually got him on the court. Jackson is little remembered by the public today, but he did leave behind some tremendous writings & rulings. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'
Post a Comment