Monday, January 23, 2006

Weekend Fun....and Freakiness

After a shocking turn of events on Dancing with the Stars (who, exactly, are the Master P fans out there?), I spent the majority of the weekend with Mr. and Mrs. L up at the new house in Gaithersburg.

Saturday was Mrs. L's birthday and we celebrated with a delicious meal of pork chops and several glasses of wine, plus a Michael Buble CD and their very first viewing of March of the Penguins. The movie was fantastic in theaters, and now it's even more enjoyable in the home game version. Who'd'a thunk it would be so fun to MST those penguins!!! After a welcome home visit from Brunette and her cool prezzies from India and 2 more rounds of Guillotine, in which I kicked their a**es as usual, we turned in for the night.

Here's where the weekend got freaky for me. I was supposed to sleep on the Aerobed in the L's guest room. Since the new house is big and they're not using all the rooms yet, they had very economically closed off the guest room after we all camped out there on New Year's and shut off the heat. As great hosts, they had taken the time to open the room up that morning and get the heat flowing again. Now here's the important detail: the Aerobed that was inflated on New Year's had been in the room the whole time. When I went to bed at 2 am, I noticed that the room was kinda chilly, but I figured that by piling on the blankets I would warm up and sleep like a baby all through the night.

Cut to about 4:30 am. I wake myself up with kinda violent, uncontrollable shakes. I've never felt anything like this before. My whole body was shaking - my shoulders were shimmying, my legs were sorta kicking and my feet and arms were kinda flailing. And my jaw was chattering so hard my teeth were knocking together. Ummm, hypothermia much? I was understandably a bit freaked out, so I got up and went into the bathroom and immediately noticed that it was warmer once I was out of that room. I sat in the bathroom for a while - about 5 minutes? - and waited for those shakes to go away. They finally did...which is good, cuz I don't know what I would have done otherwise. I knew there was no way I could go back to sleep in that room, so I quickly went in and grabbed all the blankets, then went downstairs to sleep on the couch. I warmed up pretty quickly and did manage to sleep the rest of the night away.

The next morning, I told the L's what had happened. Mr. L went up to the room to check it all out, concerned that he might have a heating issue with the new house. Well, it turns out that the heat in the room was working just fine. But he touched the Aerobed and realized it was as cold as ice. So, somehow, the Aerobed had gotten so cold while it was in the shut-off room and was so well-insulated that the cold air just stayed in there. And I had basically been sleeping on a bed of freezing air. Yikes.

Now we have all learned the important lesson - deflate the Aerobed and let it hang out in a warm closet until its next use. I'm glad nothing was wrong with the heat, cuz I'd hate for the L's to have major house issues. But I think I'll pass on being the guinea pig next time around. :-)

After all the freakiness subsided, the rest of the weekend went by in a lazy swirl of watching their fun honeymoon video, returning home to veg out to Lifetime, and then my usual Sunday gig of the best night of tv. All in all, a good weekend!

Oh, and...
Pittsburgh's going to the Su-uu-uu-per Bowl!

3 comments:

Blue Dog Art said...

Yeah Baby! Steelers are going to the Super Bowl! Yee Haw!

WCTs said...

Hey, glad to here you are alive & well!

Stop by the Whippy's blog for a funny link regarding oranges & Boone kiity!

WCTs said...

here & hear,,,same write?